TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:39 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: replacing car locks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:28 am 

hi i was just wondering whether anyone knows the approximate price (parts & labour) to replace all the locks (including ignition) of a swift gt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:50 am 
smart@ss

it all depends where you get the parts from ( junkyard car or dealer) and who does the work. Cheapest way is to get donor car locks and have a mechanic do it if you can't or don't have time. Dealer will be most expensive.

http://sierraclub.com/exxposeexxon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:51 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

How to rekey your locks:

1: Go down to a place that does key cutting and buy a compatible key blank for your car.
2: Disassemble your locks and rearrange the tumblers/wafers for a new key pattern
3: Run a magic marker along the top side of the key blank blade
4: Insert blank into key hole, and use a scribe to mark positions of tumblers/wafers (this markings will be easily visible because you marked the blank)
5: Use jeweler's files (or my personal favorite, a Dremel with a cutoff wheel on low speed) and start shaping the key
6: Cut small amounts at a time, always checking fit. The tumblers/wafers will start receding into the plug
7: Ensure tumblers/wafers are perfectly flush with the outer surface of the plug. This is called your shear line. They should never sink past the shear line
8: Reassemble lock and test new key
9: If your new key doesn't work, you'll need to pick the lock and shape a new blank
10: If the new key does work, disassemble the other locks and rearrange their tumblers/wafers to suit the new key

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:03 pm 

thanks for all the help guys...altho i think ill have to get someone to do it as i dun have the experience or the equipment

Post subject: keys
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:02 pm 
Teamswift Racer

usually you can think about 50 bucks a tumbler. and then you would have to get them all the same and get keys cut.

i just had my honda rekeyed due to a theif, they broke the look so it was replaced with a autowrecker one. different key. i had a "mobile" locksmith come out and re key tho whole car. and change the offending lock and ha spare keys for everything else cut. he was quick and charged a little over 100 bucks.

remember the ignition usually has 1 more tumbler then the doors
made me feel better as there was no keys floating around.

DID YOU KNOW a lock smith can read your vin number, and go to his master book get a code. program that into his cnc type portable key cutter and open your car in no time... i found this out as I lost my keys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:17 pm 

You wanna know whats even scarrier is you can bypass all this now and they have a gun looking key they put in your lock pull the trigger and it expands to hit the tumblers. They are in your car in 5-10 seconds. My aunt does it here and its frightening. You have to be a registered locksmith and if you quit they take it away. Cost, around $1000. Very scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:20 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Those lock picking guns usually work better on cheaper locks. Locksmiths will often use them as the first course for picking a lock, if it doesn't open immediately then they'll use regular lock picks.

As far as the cost of hiring a locksmith goes, it's a lot cheaper to learn how to do your own locksmithing. My own car got broken into a few weeks ago, and among the items stolen were my house keys. Rather than hiring a locksmith or changing the locks, I just rekeyed the existing locks. Total cost: 1 key blank (~$1.50). Also when you make your own keys, it's easy to compensate for tumbler wear. If you look at a regular key, the shape you see is bunch of jagged angles. Keys I make consist of smooth curves, they enter the lock with no resistance and don't need any wiggling to open the lock.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject: newkey!(?)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:05 am 

Lihtan, you are a smart man.

That is the best (& least $) way
to get old locks working better
than new.

Sure, it takes some time and
effort..but well worth it.

Plus, one key for all your locks
is very convenient.

Thanks, :)
Pres

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:29 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Thank you, but really this isn't hard stuff to learn. If you have a natural curiousity about how things work, just take apart any old junk lock that you still have a key to (you need the key to separate the plug from the lock cylinder) and see how it works.
There's also a lot of information on the internet on the subject of lockpicking that covers the operation of locks in great detail:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/lock-picking.htm(page 5 tells you how to re-key a lock)
http://www.lysator.liu.se/mit-guide/mit-guide.html (MIT guide to lockpicking)

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject: Re: replacing car locks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:29 am 

locksmith can guide you best

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:48 am 

I once locked myself out of my 99 metro, and called a pop-a-lock guy to come open it for me. What they did to my car really scared me. The guy took out an air pump and a strange expansion device, and shoved it into the door jamb above the window. He then proceeded to pump air into the thing, which expanded the device and bent the door frame away from the body. With a long wire, he reached in and pulled the lock button. Luckily the door frame did not become misaligned, but I was a little pissed at the guy for his break-in method.

He charge 40 bucks!!! :-P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:49 pm 
Island Inbreeder

Here's a classic from 11-23-06
Injoy .. with Pictures
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27966

t3 ragtop wrote:
the 3 banger isn't at all a "grenade." it's a tough little son of a bitch doing a big job. respect it.
suprf1y wrote:
I didn't save anything.Vehicles are to me, like little boys are to Tommy.Toys to be abused for my own personal pleasure.
jrjd wrote:
"Driving a Swift GTi is like driving a bike in your house".