TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:52 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The build of my turd
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:42 pm 

I don't have a picture just yet but, I have a small video to start this off. This car was left for dead for what appears to be no good reason. They robbed the fuel tank out of it for the fuel pump. I took a fuel tank out of a parts car they had and it ended up needing a pump as well. I figure with the path I will be taking why not just get it out of the way now and put a Walbro 255 in there while I have the tank out to make it easy on myself. I grabbed as many parts as I could find they had laying around as they had taken some other things off the car and robbed them for other projects. The only thing that the car seemed short on was the factory boost bypass/over boost valve. They had no idea where it was so I just made a block off plate for now. I already have a DSM blow off valve and will be welding that on in the next week or two. After buttoning everything up, pulling the heater core because it was clogged and getting it running fairly well I decided it was time to take it to the dyno for a nice baseline. This is all stock with no modifications other than taking the exhaust off the car. It was just dangling there and was not hooked up anyway so it was no extra effort to just pull it off.

Mustang dyno results-
56hp 59tq uncorrected at 6000ft
69hp 71tq corrected

This is just the beginning and should be a pretty fun journey as I have some creative plans. After racing Mitsubishi's for the past 18 years it was time I scratched this itch. I have owned four Samurai's, two Metro's and an LJ20 so I am also a long Suzuki fan.

https://youtu.be/cPg5NjiUGGE

Post subject: Re: The build of my turd
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:37 pm 

Nice find . Pretty good numbers for all stock and left for the dead T3 :D

Looks pretty clean too

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:45 pm 

It really isn't but, mechanically that is all that I care about. Looks are not important to me as long as it runs well. The interior was pretty rough. The car runs well and that is what is important.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:55 pm 

A few more things done. Mostly trying to winterize/weatherize it so I can drive it comfortablly. First real modification. A DSM blow off valve. I will be doing something with the exhaust soon. I wanted to this past weekend but, spent both of my days off in the mountains.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:15 pm 

Moved from the factory 45amp alternator to a 94amp 12si alternator. Next step will be to wire the fuel pump to a switch directly off the alternator. Those two alone should fix my low voltage issues (fuel pump changing pitch every time something is turned on).

I will also be mounting my new wheels this week. Just waiting on some lug nuts for them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:47 pm 

That's a little big for my tastes, though I like the custom bracket.
Looks like that might be more at home on a Samurai.
I would be more concerned about adding all that extra weight,
that's gotta weigh what...about twice as much as stock alt?
I just took my old alt down and had it rewound for 100 amp.

I would say if you have voltage issues, it's in the battery cables or grounds.
Just a guess, but I'm guessing your battery terminal connectors
are all jacked up and someone clamped on lead terminals to try
to fix them?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:36 pm 

This is for a samurai. I have done this swap on three of the samurais I have owned. It did the trick each time with those as it did with this car. Weight is negligible and was never even a consideration when it comes to doubling the output of the alternator. This is a very inexpensive solution and i can get this alternator at every parts store in america. That was the number one consideration when planning this move.

I have been building and racing cars for nearly 20 years. Add that to the fact that this is a known and common problem in the suzuki world, this was a very logical and easy step in the future plans for this car. I am the furthest thing from a purist and do not care in the slightest about anything an engineer at Suzuki had to say. This build will be unorthodox and not follow any paths that may have been set by anyone in this community. The whole point in me buying this car is so I could let my creativity flow because there is no support for these cars and i have always wanted to push the g10 where no one else has.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:37 pm 

Though I have only owned 1 type of Suzuki Car, I have never had had any electrical issues that actually required
the need for a more powerful alternator on this model, with close to 1,000,000 miles I've done a lot of maintenance,
very little in the way of electrical. It's the headlight switches that give the most trouble, and snapped wires
on the cold start injector harness coupler are the most common problems. Most people that don't have any
automotive experience end up butchering everything under the hood.

There is plenty of support for these cars on this website, though not as lively as it used to be. And if you have
the manuals and supplements, along with any common sense, that is all the support needed to maintain these cars.

As far as unorthodox, keep looking and you'll see plenty of that here and on the companion sites Redline GTI
and the Geo forums. I'm not going to name names, but all you have to do is a bit of searching.
It is nice to see some renewed passion for these cars, so keep up the good work and keep us posted on
your progress.

The cool thing about these cars is the power to weight ratio, as well as the 'sleeper' attitude,
while I like to keep mine more or less stock looking, there's plenty that can be done the right way.
When I reached my first performance goals, I realized how significant the weight reduction was
vs. the butt in the seat dyno. That's why I said that about the alt. I went to great lengths to get
my ride under 1400 lbs by many methods from removing the years of hidden mud under the wheelwell
flaps, unused components and mounts under the hood, etc, mostly things unnoticed by the eye.
Heck, swapping to a plastic rad fan and aluminum radiator will save 10-15lbs of weight,
and a 10 lb. battery vs. stock will net you about 25 lbs. all of which I'm sure you know is
the equivalent of adding HP on the open road.

You can easily get 125 WHP by adding a little bigger hairdryer and tweaking a few items, if
you do it with finesse you can even keep the stock electronics. That makes it a bit hard
to drive a straight line. Very interested to see what you have in mind.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:44 pm 
Teamswift Racer

biglady112 wrote:
Moved from the factory 45amp alternator to a 94amp 12si alternator. Next step will be to wire the fuel pump to a switch directly off the alternator. Those two alone should fix my low voltage issues (fuel pump changing pitch every time something is turned on).

You've other issues if that is the case, plenty of other people have run 500hp bosch pumps and decent sized stereos on the factory alternator, unless of course that monster alternator is actually a motor and you are building an electric assisted Hybrid Sprint, that of course really would be doing something no one else has done 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:54 pm 

I will not sling together parts and hope and pray they work. I have been building and tuning extremely high horsepower four cylinder mitsubishi's for too long to pretend that it won't translate over. I will be installing a real tuning system with real tuning solutions. And 45 amps will not cut it and it is quite ignorant to think that it even could. Voltage and ignition issues are a real problem in small displacement, high horsepower applications. Regardless of the platform.

New wheels and tires to replace the factory wheels and dry rotted tires.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:25 am 

Oooooh, pretty!

Your fuel tank is leaking though. =)

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:15 am 

We will see what you can do with that turd and chip of yours.

Lot of dead threads on here, people come out of the gate full throttle but fall short
of the finish line, never to be heard from again.

Why don't you clue us in on what you really have planned with some
juice details about your Engine build & HP goals?

Maybe something like this? :-P

Attachment:
sleeper.jpg
sleeper.jpg [ 92.07 KIB | Viewed 1752 times ]

or maybe ........
Attachment:
sleeper 2.jpg
sleeper 2.jpg [ 95.42 KIB | Viewed 1752 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:04 am 

Maybe look at my YouTube account. Those are just a fraction of the projects I have built. We have been 8's in the quarter mile, 218mph at the salt flats and 183mph in the half mile with our 4g63 powered cars. Chip or not, I am not here to mess around. You will not see me hack something together and hope it works. Everything is methodical and has a purpose. Stay tuned if you are interested. If not it won't bother me either way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:35 pm 

Bump!
Any updates on this project?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:47 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62359

This doesn't happen to be one and the same is it? :(

1978 Chevy monza 2+2, 74 step side Chevy, firebird,firebird,fake 91 firehawk in the making,trans am(dd),other trans am, n/a mk1 sprint, and my baby 1987 Chevy sprint turbo in red. How many run right now? Just the n/a sprint. It's not a collection it's my retirement plan.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:20 pm 

Quote:
Lot of dead threads on here, people come out of the gate full throttle but fall short
of the finish line, never to be heard from again.

Quote:
Chip or not, I am not here to mess around. You will not see me hack something together and hope it works. Everything is methodical and has a purpose. Stay tuned if you are interested.

Quote:
I have been building and racing cars for nearly 20 years. Add that to the fact that this is a known and common problem in the suzuki world, this was a very logical and easy step in the future plans for this car. I am the furthest thing from a purist and do not care in the slightest about anything an engineer at Suzuki had to say. This build will be unorthodox and not follow any paths that may have been set by anyone in this community. The whole point in me buying this car is so I could let my creativity flow because there is no support for these cars and i have always wanted to push the g10 where no one else has.

I saw this coming a mile away.... =)