TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:22 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:01 am 

Hello everyone....got a question will a 1987 turbo head work on a 97 3 cyl block?...i have a complete engine with harness all sensors etc...what will i need to do?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:15 pm 

So a believe the 97 used lifters the 87 does not. The blocks are the same so it should bolt on(mechanically speaking head to block). The 87 turbo head is the best flowing 3 cyl head available so doing some exaust upgrades would be worthwhile. I'm not as familiar with the newer g10's but I can send you pictures of where and what sensors go into a factory 87 head (pm me your email my pictures are far too large of file to be put up here). It should be straightforward. My first concern would be the distributor and plug wires and if they'll fit into the 87 head. You'll definetly have to get the older style of plug wires. Start searching the forums the info is out there. Also make note of the camshaft sprockets(the amount of teeth and the position of your tdc marks) so as far as the head goes it should work but as far as the ignition goes well I really don't know. It would be a heck of a lot easier to use a mk2 turbo head. im sure a mk2 guy will be of more help but I think this should help you with a starting point :mrgreen:

1978 Chevy monza 2+2, 74 step side Chevy, firebird,firebird,fake 91 firehawk in the making,trans am(dd),other trans am, n/a mk1 sprint, and my baby 1987 Chevy sprint turbo in red. How many run right now? Just the n/a sprint. It's not a collection it's my retirement plan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:32 pm 

I'm sure it can be done but it will offer a fair number of challenges and isn't a direction I'd go. There is just so many differences between the mk1&mk2 engines and heads despote sharing the same block. You will need the complete engine controls from the turbo engine, wiring harness, fuel pump, Maf sensor and tubing etc etc. then you will need to either build another turbo oil drain into your pan, or drill and tap a fitting in the block like the factory turbo engines had. Not sure on pistons, they will be completely different but may still work despite the difference in compression ratio after the head install. If anything I think you will land up with higher compression and running premium fuel with low/stock boost would probably suffice.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:34 pm 

Will an mk1 head fit an mk2 engine? As in, a complete mk2 turbo engine, the only difference being the head, mk2 manifolds, ignition, etc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:58 pm 

Fairly sure it won't. Different intake bolt pattern and spacing I believe, couple other differences. The mk1 head is the best, but due to all the differences this is why you don't see mk1 heads used on the later models.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:36 pm 

The head will physically bolt on on to the block but nothing else works

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:16 am 

Ok thanks for your responses