TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:49 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:31 pm 

Wow...

Seems like not that long ago that I acquired my little blue bomb -- a 1990 Sprint Turbo -- as a third car for our kids to drive. But I just realized it's been almost 15 years since I became its second owner. Since I acquired it, I've had the body completely done over and added (and replaced) some excellent rubber on 15-inch rims. I've replaced the turbo oil feed lines with braided lines, replaced the turbo with a rebuilt unit, and added a fully-legal 2" stainless exhaust from stem to stern (it even passes the e-test with flying colours). And in the 15 years I've owned it, protected it from the winter for the last eight, and I've run the odometer up to about 170k.

So why am I reminiscing? Well, honestly, I'm thinking it might be time to sell her. Kids are past needing me to provide them with a car, and the body is starting to show signs of needing repairs again -- which is a shame because she runs like a top -- and I put less than 2000km a year on her. So I think she needs to go to someone who is ready to take her on afresh.

I'm writing this post in the hopes that you guys can give me some advice on how to sell her, and maybe some idea what I should be asking for the old girl. Or you could try to talk me out of selling her.

Here are some details:
[list=]
[*]About 189km on the original motor
[*]New Turbo with less than 2500km
[*]Sport Edition 15x7 wheels with General Exclaim EXP tires
[*]2" stainless exhaust from the manifold back
[*]Manifold replaced with non-cracked unit about 4000km ago
[*]Side spats replaced with fibreglass units from Suzuki Racing when I had the body and paint done
[*]Rockers need patching, and overall the car is starting to show some small surface rust spots (wheel well arches, rear hatch, etc -- you know, the usual places)
[/list]

Obviously, I need lots of photos, but what else would I need to tell people about her to make sure someone knows exactly what they're getting into?

And how do you sell an icon like this (she's Robin's egg blue!) when there are only a couple of them left on the road, and almost no-one knows what she is?

Any help and advice (or, like I said, attempts to talk me out of selling her) are appreciated.

Thanks all!

Joe

Last edited by JoeInOttawa on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:54 pm 

I have the same car..original factory competition blue colour.

Torque + Light+ Fast + Rare + Cheap to maintain = keep it and drive it. =)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:55 pm 

Keep it or sell to your kid, closest friend or crazy about suzuki so it will carry your legacy.

Right now T3 and GTi are freaking rare therefore it's not easy to find the parts.... Lucky some G10T and G10 shared some same parts unlike GTi and MK4+.

I have my GA Turbo (modified installed T3 into MK2 GA) which has bad rusty shell so I am still working on strip and clean up the wire and then into my 160k MK3 Swift L even SuzukiTom said it was too prefect to strip.... who cares about automatic and G13A. :roll: I just want to drive my own T3 into MK3 shell like my first project! :lol:

Biggest concern about MK2 and MK3 is damn fragile that not even meets the safety standard.... compare to MK4+. and other cars... and of course T3 turbo parts like IHI RHB32.

Anyway take some pictures of your ride and show off! Or even meet up! By the way where the heck are you located in? west coast?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:45 am 

Well, my pen name is "JoeInOttawa," so...

:)

I'll post a few pics from when we had it completely re-done.

Hopefully that worked...

Joe (in Ottawa)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:50 am 

JoeInOttawa wrote:
I'll post a few pics from when we had it completely re-done.

Well, I will if someone can tell me how to do it. Meanwhile, you can look at photos in DropBox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzv63kewuj7jv ... t.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4efer73t27a1 ... e.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1hx7eorozmjfq ... r.jpg?dl=0

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:44 pm 

Beautiful car. Don't ever sell it. Our American Teamswift members would love a car like that, since the MK2 Turbos were never sold in the USA.

To post a picture. Use the IMG tags instead of the URL tags.

Like this:

PS. If you do decide to sell it, send a PM to member CAMI Man in Ontario. I'm pretty sure he would want to buy it from you!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:10 pm 

It's not quite as nice as that these days, but it's not far off. Like I said, it's starting to show some surface rust, but overall, still pretty decent.

Any guesses as to what it's worth?

Oh, by the way, memory did not serve well: it has 189K on the clock, not 169.

Still kinda leaning towards keeping it...

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:22 pm 

Very lean... Very rare in east coast since they all are rusty or gone.

Are you 100% sure that it only had rust surface? The gti bodykit + terrible quality glue = rust.

The worth = probably 3k since most good condition sold as 2-3k here, BC... rusty t3 or gt = less than 1k. Yes contact Camiman if you made a decision to sell... he always wants to have T3 and would be great caretaker.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:51 pm 

Your English is just fine.

Am I sure the rust is all surface? No, not really. But it seems to be happening in the normal surface rust areas.

I know for sure my rockers need patching, and that's on the agenda for the next couple of weeks, at which point, I will have a good look under the car and see what else, if anything, needs extra attention. And maybe I'll put my girl under the knife again and have the whole body done over again.

I just don't know...

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:30 pm 

Just lift the car then look at both rockers and front pans then check the glue line. Check the skirt that might carry dirty and other. Use the mirror to check the shell where the skirt cover.

Then remove the carpet to make sure it's not rusting or wetting.