TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:38 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Crank pulley timing mark
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:26 am 

When the engine is top dead center, should the mark on the crank pulley (used to set timing) also be TDC or should it be at the 0 mark on the scale on the plastic cover. I have an aftermarket pulley and it's not very clear. G13B DOHC

Thanks,

Dave

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:05 pm 

The crank itself should have a marking on it. The crank pulley notch (inside) should match the crank slot, but this is not how you should set tdc. Your crank pulley should be off when you set tdc. If you did not set tdc before taking the timing belt off you will need to make sure you are on tdc on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke. The pulley marking on the outside should be used in connection with a timing light after you close the circuit to test the timing. It relatively speaking will be at 0 when it is on tdc, but again this is not what you should use to set it to tdc.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:15 am 

Soler, the pulley is notched to match the crank, yes. I'm sure the base timing is set correctly. My only concern is the mark on the pulley. I'm going to mark the pulley at 0 on the plastic cover scale, that seems to make the most sense. Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:18 pm 

So now that that is figured out, I'm questioning the recommended timing belt tensioner size. Every guide I can find, including RockAuto is saying a 51mm pulley is what's needed for the DOHC G13B. I'm finding that hard to believe, considering it barely fits and the belt is extremely tight, even at the loosest adjustment. This old thread http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=59975 Echoes my concerns. There's mention of a 42mm pulley, which is what I've used the past two belt changes. However I can not find this size pulley anywhere anymore. Anybody happen to know a good part number for this pulley (42mm or 46mm)?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:28 pm 

That is my own post. 42 mm is what I measured. Even that one is tight. The ones in the kit on Rockauto look right. Maybe they measured wrong. I remember how tight the belt was going on. It wasn't until the third time putting it on that it finally picked up the slack.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:47 pm 

So you ended up using the 51mm pulley?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:13 pm 

I finally found a p/n for th 42mm pulley. The OEM Suzuki pulley was 42mm as well, but is discontinued and hard to find. Hopefully this aftermarket oem one is correct.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:31 am 

I went with the 42 mm with I think gates, but it has been a while. Post up the link to what you went with.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:48 pm 

Just to update to avoid confusion. I just got in a Dayco timing belt kit 95171K1 with belt and tensioner. The tensioner is indeed 42 mm. Dayco belts I believe are still made in Italy. I bought it through Rockauto. I have no idea why you had trouble finding the 42 mm tensioner. It literally was the first belt I went to on Rockauto. There is the possiblity that Autozone, Oriley's and Napa have the size listed wrong in their systems.