TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:22 pm 

I figured I would post up my little car that I began working on in November of 2016.
To give a little background, I purchased a 1990 firefly turbo in fall of 2013, the car needed a clutch at the time, which I immediately did after I got the car home.
The firefly ran like an absolute top, until you tried to actually drive the car. It would hit a wall at 4000 RPM, and it severely lacked power even though the turbo was functioning. After tinkering off and on with the car for a few months, replacing a ton of small parts (including a $300 dollar fuel pump, which I wouldn't have bought if I would have known the price but that's a long story in itself).
I was beginning to get really fed up with the car. One night I decided to check the timing belt for the hell of it (which I believed could never be the issue seeing how the car idled).. well whoever changed the like new belt last time had it so off of the timing marks, I'm not actually sure how it ran in the first place. After getting it mechanically in awesome shape, I began to work away at the horrible body. It's hard to tell from the above photo, as I had put new fenders on, and gooned the 1/4 panel.. but the car basically was lacking a floor, and the rockers were non existent. Whoever had the car before me felt it was necessary to load the car with spray foam, which really did it in rust wise. The fact that the car was so bad really turned me off of ever driving it.

As the fall of 2016 rolled around, I got tired of watching the car sit. So I contacted a good friend of mine, who has been holding out on a mint bodied regular 1991 sprint that his dad had owned since new. His dad finally let me buy the car, which had a serious wiring issue that he was unable to resolve.

My friend leaning on the car like a goof in our highschool workshop in around 2012. We pulled out the 3 cylinder that was running on two and popped in a low miler g10. Following the swap the wiring issues began, meaning the car was put back out on the farm and forgotten.

I knew that I had to get my hands on the 91' before it began to rot like every single other one I've seen around Saskatchewan. And I'm not really sure what stopped it from being rusty in the first place. The car was driven back and forth to my friends dad's farm (about 45 minutes on gravel each way) for around 15 years, and when the motor lost compression on one of the cylinders it was used by his young kids and himself as a field bomber. But regardless, no rot, which meant it was the perfect candidate for my little g10t.

Long story short, I tore the engine down, bought a gasket set and threw it back together. The only real change was the addition of a 3 tech camshaft (which made the car feel twice as powerful might I add.) And I threw it in. The real goal of this little car was to recreate a like new turbo sprint, all while spending little to no money, by using what I had.
I dyed the blue carpet, swapped every interior panel, the dash, all wiring harnesses, and went to town repairing the severely hail damaged roof. I rustproofed everywhere you could think of, scuffed the car and hit it with semigloss white tremclad spray bombs. I'm actually pretty happy with it other than the roof, which I just could not get right with the spray pattern of the tremclad cans.(it looks slightly dry sprayed, and I redid it twice with no improvement)
The end goal was to make the car look like an Mk1 (as they're much better looking) as well. I had no real intentions of really getting a ton of power out of the car, as I want it to stay together, and at the end of the day it's still a 3 cylinder.
I was really just looking for all of the passing power I needed, all while getting great mileage. I am extremely happy with the car. I have wanted one for a long time, as I still remember being driven around in both of my dad's Mk1s (white and red) in the late 90's.
I am really looking forward to some large roadtrips in the future in my little white mk1 copy!
Hopefully the little wall of text is enjoyable, along with the pictures. Thanks for reading!

Edit: I was caught in the rain and it was a little filthy when I took these photos!

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:23 pm 
Suzuki Elder

nice car! good job. :wink:

i love a turbo3. =)

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:43 am 

Very nice indeed. They are sure getting harder to find.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:21 pm 

Eeeeeeuuuuueeeeeyyy that's a buet :mrgreen: . Looks like my newest acquisition but 4 years newer :lol: . Great work can't wait to see a picture of it clean in the sunshine. That motor is all buttered up makes my warm and fuzzy inside. :buzz:

1978 Chevy monza 2+2, 74 step side Chevy, firebird,firebird,fake 91 firehawk in the making,trans am(dd),other trans am, n/a mk1 sprint, and my baby 1987 Chevy sprint turbo in red. How many run right now? Just the n/a sprint. It's not a collection it's my retirement plan.