TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:00 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:32 am 

Full disclosure: I installed a new stereo system. It is actually quite simple; a 4 channel amp connected to a Bluetooth module under the passenger seat. I used the previous stereo's wiring diagram to tell which wires were which without actually measuring the voltages. This led to me applying 12V to the ground of the amp.

The amp is fine but now I blow the tail light fuse every time I turn the headlights on. The systems attached to this circuit are the: gauge cluster back light, dome light, tail lights, and stereo back light. My fog lights also seem to not work but their fuse is fine... This leads me to believe that I messed with the circuit that provides back light power to the radio.

Here is the circuit:
http://imgur.com/kVTBqSW

What do you guys think would be the likely culprit? I see a few switches and "Illumination Controller"... I am going to go probe around with a multimeter but I don't really know what to expect.

Thanks for any input!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:06 am 

Did you actually put a head unit in the console or just the amp and module? I would guess you have an open hot on the head unit stock wiring from the fuse link (inside fuse box) over to where the head unit is.

Here is the fsm pages for radio for 1994 Geo metro which will be really close to suzuki swift.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByZnrvy ... NtNHc/edit

As you can tell from this one which should be the same, the radio memory is not on the same run has the accessory power. I would look at the memory power which is the one connected to the tail fuse.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:34 am 

So I did a little more prodding. Thanks for the additional wiring diagram!

I found that when I disconnect my amp the fuse doesn't pop so it must be something that I am doing with the amp power.

I ran a solid power and ground wire from the battery back to the amp. I am using the WH/BK power wire from the radio as a remote signal to the amp. I think I just need to get back under there with a voltmeter and measure what type of resistances I get from the memory circuit to ground with and without the lights on. I will post back when I get a chance to prod around more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:30 pm 

Just remember that suzuki does things backward compared to other car companies.. uses the illumination controller to vary the resistance to Ground (-) ( red with green stripe) rather than to vary the resistance to Power (+12v) (red with yellow stripe wire)

Simple advice for aftermarket radio lighting. Don't bother with dimmer functionality. Just connect the radio lighting wire to the same wire for radio power which is the ignition switched power wire + IGN 12V. Your radio lighting will just come on with the radio at full brightness.