TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:31 pm 

So to start off this thread i would like to say all the things ive done to this amazing little car.

Followed the hot rod tips on this car and i gotta say it goes for a tiny 1.3l. stripped interior to bare metal except dash and 2 front seats. no more ac and everything that goes along with it. seen a thread saying that without ac removed they took off a good 130 lbs so i shouldve taken off at least 200(if my 15" aluminum rims are lighter than stock.) so the car is pretty bare. funny how much room is in such a small car after.

motor mods are as followed.
45mm tb
self made headers from eclipse megan racing headers(soon to be log style turbo manifold after i can get a cam)
cold air intake
.8mm copper head gasket
head milled .6mm
75mm ycp vitara pistons
maxspeeding con rods (decent quality rods honestly and way beefier than stcokers)
arp head and main studs
experimenting on head porting so i guess you can say im porting the head.

my plans are to have this baby running 15-30psi of boost and hopefully 300hp is my goal from this little thing. seems a bit high honestly but shoot for the stars. the power range i want to be around is 3k to 7.5k if at all possible since these auto trannies have such long gears. turbo wont spool around that rpm range anyways because of how small the motor is. i was thinking of getting the 355/204 profile cam for this car as its not the wildest and i dont want my power starting too far up the revs. if anyone can chime in on how this cam performs id really like to hear about it. if mike can chime in that would be great also.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:43 am 

oh and when i say 300 hp i mean bhp. whp would be asking for way to much from this little thing. but does no one really have anything to say about how this cam performs compared to this one ".340" lift, 192int/198exh duration " in terms of boosted numbers?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:32 pm 

months later and still no info about the difference between the cams? no insight or help? yes ive looked at all the forums and people say they love the cams they got and what there build has. but i dont see no numbers on where the power band kicks in on the cam and where it drops off at either or even how much hp they have. i know the head cant handle much rpms either so thats why i think 1k more rpms is about max this head can handle also i dont want to change to a manual because like everyone says they are weak and you have to baby them so id rather stick to my tall final drive autobox and possibly let it actually go faster than 120 mph hence the rpm increase... help out someone who wants to learn more about cars and their motors. i mean ive went through just about every forum there is for this car and i see alot of people saying use the search function. well search doesnt yeild the results i wanted so i thought lets go back to the very first thread about this car and work my way up from there and i still cant find the info im in need of. the main reason im asking what one would perform best for my setup is because like mike says "I would prefer to take specific questions from people. There are alot of grinds there, and results will vary depending on application. The questios will still come up, anyway, so I prefer t answer them on a specific basis." on his cam profile thread. well im asking what would go best for my setup and what power range i want to achieve. if i cant achieve what im looking for than tell me. if its impossible to rev this motor to 7.5k built than say so. im learning as much as i can from this car with experience and also these forums( dont get me wrong these forums taught me alot about these cars) but the info im in need of hasnt been asked or answered yet. i dont need to swap my ecu either because it has the tunable one(160 pin chip info found on the forums) and im this is my project car. yes i dont have everything i need to turbo it but the turbo is going to be the last thing that will be done to the car either way. i still need to get a fuel pump and the injector to run a turbo because the injectors are running pretty much at max from stock.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:12 am 

You haven't said what engine you have? Is it an eight valve or sixteen valve?

300hp is a dream, that would be a hand grenade good for the dragstrip only. Expect a failure every three or four miles.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:48 am 

You will get zero input without giving any info of what engine you are trying to turbo, that's a pretty important detail. Basically impossible to recomend or advise on cams for a mystery engine, remember, there are 4 variants of 1.3L engines in the swift line.
300hp won't happen, so set your sights within a realistic range, unless you have a massive amount of money to invest in this. You will fry the auto trans I'm sure, and will need to sort out a way to custom build parts for the trans when they fail. Auto trannies in these are tough, but made for 55-100hp engines.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:18 am 

thank you for that answer about the hp range, would you be able to say what range i should be expecting from this after its boosted and cammed? i was thinking 200 at least under 20 psi with a td04 and a nice tune. but im pretty sure ive mentioned the mods specific to the engine. but i guess i forgot to put down exactly what engine i was running. the g13bb sohc 16v one. its an 01 engine that had the steel manifold with the cat built into it and had an egr line going straight to the head. but the intake manifold seems to block it off. also steel main caps oddly enough. also what can this head handle as far as rpm range? like ive heard people say they cant handle much over red line but then ive also heard the opposite. valve springs wont be a problem as i can find some that will be firmer. the car already weighs so little so anything thats over 200 hp is good with me. but i want a lumpy idle so people know this thing has a cam in it. also im looking into a tranny for a tranny swap when the time does come. i was actually thinking of getting one from a tracker since they are 4x4 and they have a short wheel base and also bolt directly on.(i know they are less than ideal compared to an awd tranny. but whatever could work car is gonna see offroad time most the time anyways)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:35 am 

The Tracker is rear wheel drive built on a truck chassis, with the engine/transmission sitting longitudinally. While that transmission might bolt up to a G13 and can probably handle more power, it's completely the wrong shape and has no differential in it.

150 HP is the most you can expect from a G13 on the street. That's probably where you start breaking axles and transmissions too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:18 pm 

geez 150hp? is that bhp or whp? and on a turbo setup thats gonna be built like its n/a(ported heads, itbs when the time comes, cam, and slightly higher comp ratio than stock) and tuned for atleast 20psi? what makes the gtis be able to handle 200hp aside from the tranny problems? the heads cant be that different as far as air flow and thats also why im porting it to allow more air. the itbs should also allow more air flow than the esteem tb. i dont mind the axles and tranny breaking tho in the mean time. i can grab a few spare ones from the wrecking yard and also my 99 parts car if and when they do break and there is also racing dogboxes but i havent found one with a tall final drive gear. which is why im looking into other trannys. but in the mean time i want it to be fast n/a before i put a turbo on and make sure i have everything situated so when the time comes im not like "aw i shouldve done this to it before" or "damn i forgot to get a fuel pump" you know something along those lines. money isnt an issue here tho so thats why i have big goals for this little thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:18 pm 

I have an 89 sprint with 1.3 twin cam and turbo at around 6-8psi, stock everything else. It's a very fast car that scares passengers. Might make 140-160hp tops. It spins the tires at 30mph when you get on the gas. You really need to drive or ride In a turbo car to get a feeling for what hp level you need to have a fun car. Remember how light these cars are.
In any case, with a 16v single cam, you don't have as much head capacity as the twin cam I don't believe. The sohc head design just wasnt designed to scream at high rpms, but it's not a bad head I don't think. Another note, the 16v ecu currently hasn't been 'cracked' to my knowledge, so you can't chip it easily like the gt/gti ones. Expect to go megasquirt or other standalone system.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:16 am 

You need to decide if you're building for turbo or N/A. Turbo needs a lower compression ratio and a different kind of cam. Also ITB's and turbo is an unusual combination, you'd have to come up with a new way of going about that, don't think it's been done before. You ask what makes GTi's able to take 200 hp? That's only been done by like ten people ever, I suppose it took cubic dollars. Doubling the output of any engine is a huge undertaking, requiring a lot of trial and error (that means blown up engines) and a lot of money. Doubling the output of your G13BB would be 158 hp.

I'm not saying it can't be done, DMW Dave has gotten 300 hp out of a G engine, but he's the top guy in the world and probably has $100,000 in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:27 am 

ive already decided Turbo is the way to go in this and like i said money isnt an issue here so if something breaks i can replace it and/or figure a way out to keep it from doing that again(tranny swap,custom axles if need be). if i cant come across something ill need, ill make it by hand like the turbo manifold ive made for now to see how she runs with 1bar when i get everything else for it situated(fuel pump, better fpr, you name it) or the junk yard megan racing headers that im currently running and so on. Thats also why im asking which cam would be best because i havent felt what each one can do and how it would perform if i gave it some advanced timing or vice versa and the whole deal. and also i like to try new things, itbs and turbo sounds pretty fun even if i have to fab something up for it to work, i mean ive seen a few r34s do the same and it also allows more airflow than the 45mm we can get from the esteem tb so why not give it a shot, if it doesnt work as good or i find something better than so be it haha ill use those for my other swift. i got some ycp vitara pistons(teflon coated and the dish is bigger than stock pistons) copper head gasket which is i think .6 mm thinner than stock(its at .8mm) head had to be milled due to warping from head gasket literally decaying(6 years of sitting in a desert environment)which was about .6mm so i should be around stock comp ratio give or take a little bit but nothing a good tune and good gas wont stop(highest here is 108 octane). and well im not worried about whats gonna tune it thats gonna be decided before the turbo actually goes on(part of getting everything situated). but the only thing ive seen that doesnt allow this motor to rev is how short the valves themselves are and possibly the arm the rockers sit on doesnt seem very strong. the valves wouldnt be able to handle much lift unless i did something to the head to allow for more travel which i havent fully looked into how much meat there would be after a port job but it can be done with enough trial and error. and im kinda looking for a car that is a little more then fun. scary some might even say. but yea at least 185BHP seem unreasonable at 15psi at the minimum while 20psi is my personal goal minimum and in theory 14.7 psi should double hp but you have your factors like back pressure and what not so 20 psi should bring me around my goal. and when you guys say hp are you talking bhp or whp because that would help clarify my goals a bit. thanks!

edit: in reality i know this is something that may be out of reach to alot of people and in all honesty im expecting this thing to blow up on the dyno when i start getting it tuned for boost higher than 14psi. and i was also looking at the possibility of running 2 tunes per say. one that is a low boost not so wild tune about 150 hp for driving around and than another tune where i can race someone and actually throw down some cash on at the strip which is where this motor will see its high hp uses.