TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:30 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:30 pm 

So I bought a Pontic firefly convertible for the summer 900cdn...but if my kid passes her test I'm giving it to her before the winter...nice dad ain't i..lol..hey it's free and cool.
But the one thing I want to do is fix the fuel gauge...I took out the gauge cluster in it and the need is free of obstruction when I gently pushed it over...so the I dropped the tank put of my rusted to hell were robbing every part you have 89 on the drive..sender and fuel pump know to be good...dropped the tank on the convertible and swapped the guts...put it all back..no change...next I'm swapping the gauge cluster....but at this point I'm leaning to short in fuel gauge sending wire...( yellow with red stripe)...as the gauge moves but is inaccurate ...thoughts.
Oh and thanks very much to all the folks here...I'm not a big poster...almost everything is here if ypu can track it down...Roy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:04 pm 

Hello fellow Vancouverite!

The fuel gauge sender coil gets deposits built up. That creates dead spots or intermittent behavior. I usually clean the coil and copper contactor and test resistance and then test it with the fuel gauge connected before putting the pump / sender back into the gas tank.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:12 pm 

but the factory fuel gauge is still not accurate enough... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:38 am 

Inaccurate in what way? You may find that that's just how it is.

They go past F and often don't even begin to move until you've done 70 miles. When they go into the red zone there are three or four gallons left. Don't run out until way below what you would think is empty. This car had a gallon left:

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:51 am 

Hey thanks ally guys..well the car that the new fuel( new lol) sender came out of has a known to be good sender now it's in its new home..I just filled the car up yesterday and it's working perfectly at full but as it gets lower it will still work but will have periods of time where is is clearly going bonkers ...I'm going to change the gauge cluster out of the known to be good car on Saturday...il let you know...to my fellow vancouverite. The one I. Driving now is a white two door convertible..if you see me give me the 2 honks and Winston Churchill victory v.....I know this car is going to leak like a sieve but it's so much fun right now...thanks again all

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:09 pm 

Hey thanks ally guys..well the car that the new fuel( new lol) sender came out of has a known to be good sender now it's in its new home..I just filled the car up yesterday and it's working perfectly at full but as it gets lower it will still work but will have periods of time where is is clearly going bonkers ...I'm going to change the gauge cluster out of the known to be good car on Saturday...il let you know...to my fellow vancouverite. The one I. Driving now is a white two door convertible..if you see me give me the 2 honks and Winston Churchill victory v.....I know this car is going to leak like a sieve but it's so much fun right now...thanks again all