TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:50 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Used Swifts
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:10 am 

Looking at purchasing a used swift. The ones I've looked at are '06, '07 and '08's with 100,000 kms and more on the 1.6 litre engine. I should mention that I live in Canada. I have a few questions.

1. Were these cars completely made by Daewoo of South Korea?
2. Are these years fairly reliable? Certain things I should look for when buying these used?
3. What kind of mileage can I expect out of these vehicles before they're essentially not worth repairing?

Post subject: Re: Used Swifts
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:40 am 

1.yes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Aveo (2002+)

In Canada/US, Suzuki only built swift from 1985 to 1994 and then GM+Suzuki = CAMI to build their own swift/metro from 1995-2001.

2. No clue.. mostly used is all same...

3. Probably lower than Metro :lol: they are rare to show up on the road now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:19 pm 

I've fixed up quite a few of them, pretty much learned the ins and outs of them. They are not as good as 89-00 swifts overall but they are generally reliable when certain maintenance items are taken care of. Hard to sum up quickly but here's the usual list: complete timing kit with waterpump is very very important. If you just do the belt, the other pulleys fail and engine damage occurs. Thermostat housing(at top radiator hose nearest engine) needs to be steel and not plastic(think this only affected 04/05 models so you will likely find steel ones on the cars you are looking at).
Serpentine belt tensioners fail at about 150-200k, install a new one while doing timing belt work. Sway bar links and balljoints get loose after 100k, get lifetime warranty ones and replace as needed. There was an upgraded rear bushing for lower control arms that sometimes fail.
The positives are the interior, window mechanisms, door handles etc are pretty solid and age very well. Seats and such don't show wear for a long time. This means that if you take care of the mechanical end of things as needed, the car feels good for a long time. I've seen them over 300k and they drive nice and feel solid still as long as they are in good shape underneath. Transmissions have no issues(auto or stick), brakes are good and last a fairly long time. Body's hold up ok, some rust pokes out but I wouldn't say they rot too badly.
Most parts are very cheap to buy and they are mostly easy to work on. All that said, I'd recomend taking a look at Toyota matrix/pontiac vibe as another option. The standard trans ones sometimes have a bearing issue in the trans, but auto ones are bulletproof. Everything about these models is better than the new bodystyle swift/aveo(which is all daewoo by the way), but they are a bit more money. Initial advantage right off the bat is no timing belt to maintain on the toyotas, and less prone to rust, just better overall build quality.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:59 pm 

^ Much appreciated. I'm capable of changing the timing belt and such, but I think I just might take your advice to look at the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix. Btw, I had a Suzuki esteem (1.6 l, 5 manual) for 15 years prior to that and it was absolutely trouble free. I wish Suzukis were available in this country. I'd buy a new one today. I think they are as well made as any Toyota or Honda. I road raced gsxr motorcycles for years and can't fault their engines.

I certainly don't want a North American "engineered" car/truck again, regardless of price. Just sold a Dodge Ram truck that I worked on more than I drove. I was so glad when that vehicle left the yard for good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:00 pm 

actually right now, american car company improves... but it's all depends on who the engineers are and of course where they are from. =)

It's all about the market.

PS. vote for matrix/vibe too...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:08 pm 

Owned mostly New and used Swifts and Metros...most recently a well used Esteem wagon.

I traded a Swift in and bought a new Vibe in 03. After 800 km. driven back and forth to the dealer for unresolved drive train issues, the dealer bought it back 5 months later and I got a used Swift. (Not the Daewoo ones)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:26 pm 

ouch... smart to drive the used swift tho. :lol:

They could have to trade you another vibe. :huh:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:21 pm 

codyb76 wrote:
Everything about these models is better than the new bodystyle swift/aveo(which is all daewoo by the way), but they are a bit more money. .

2004 and up Swift is not related to Aveo from DaeWoo in any way , it's all Suzuki product

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:55 pm 

DTM GTi wrote:
codyb76 wrote:
Everything about these models is better than the new bodystyle swift/aveo(which is all daewoo by the way), but they are a bit more money. .

2004 and up Swift is not related to Aveo from DaeWoo in any way , it's all Suzuki product

?!?!?! no way

source?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Aveo_(T200)

According to the wiki that it used opel engine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:01 am 

You are both right.

Suzuki rebadged the Aveo as the Swift + in Canada in 2004 so buyers could get something smaller than the Aerio.

Swifts sold in most other parts of the world were genuine next gen Swifts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:24 am 

The article mentions Suzuki as second gen Aveo in 2005 but new Swift was already in production by 2004 worldwide . Europe only saw Aveos as Chevrolets . I assume that author got confused because Aveo was sold as Barina and as we all know that was Suzuki product previous gen . Maybe members down under can confirm this .

EDIT : If you read Suzuki Swift article on Wiki it makes no mention of Aveo being sold as Swift .Condolences to Canadian neighbors for being duped into buying Aveo with Suzuki badge . Few people around here did the same thing with larger Dae Woo models like Forenza. True enthusiast never got fooled ..........

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:56 am 

Hard to follow your attack dtm, although I think it's clarified now. Canada had aveo/daewoo based swifts, and there is no question at all that they were not suzuki based. I don't need to see articles, I have rebuilt 20+ of them and nearly every part has a daewoo emblem on it. I believe all the info I provided to be correct. I am aware that there is an actual Suzuki based swift made elsewhere in the world, but since the op is in Canada, there is very little chance that he would be buying an actual Suzuki based swift from another country.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:57 pm 

Attack ??? :huh:

I was referring to Wiki article author . I do not doubt your expertise at all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:25 pm 

I'm sorry, I took offense in the fact that I was quoted. Not to worry, it's all good :). You are correct in saying there was a bit of a 'dupe' with the aveo/daewoo being badged as a swift. People naturally assumed the new swift was Suzuki built, and of the quality they expected from previous Suzuki models, as most had a good experience with older swifts, then we're considering the newer model as an upgrade.
Although I didn't find the aveo style ones to be awful, they just kinda remind me of a vehicle built with second line parts. Balljoints, swaybar links etc fail pretty regularly, which I have found to be the case with the the older swifts once you put aftermarket parts on them. I remember the original control arms/Balljoints lasting so long on the original swifts, but then once you put aftermarket ones in, they fail nonstop. But with no Suzuki dealers here, we are kinda stuck with aftermarket parts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:12 pm 

Suzuki still has an OEM parts dealer in Alberta.

INTERNATIONAL MOTOR CARS
7220 RAILWAY STREET S.E.,CALGARY,AB,T2H 3A8
Phone : 403-262-2222

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:43 am 

Thanks, that's good to know. I haven't needed a lot these days as the Suzuki scene has basically ended here, but it would be nice to have the option of ordering parts semi locally for Suzukis. You can't beat the quality of the Oem Suzuki parts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:47 pm 

suzukitom wrote:
Suzuki still has an OEM parts dealer in Alberta.

INTERNATIONAL MOTOR CARS
7220 RAILWAY STREET S.E.,CALGARY,AB,T2H 3A8
Phone : 403-262-2222

Mitsubishi north Van will still service and bring parts in for our swifts. I bought a set of lower rear window mouldings from them a few months ago. Last of two or three sets in ontario warehouse. Pricey but a must if you do a proper repaint.

'60 Austin Healey Sprite, '67 Austin Healey 3000, '74 celica GT w/ 18rg, '88 RX7 10th anniversary, '89 MR2 SC, '05 Infiniti G35 6MT

Had
'80 Renault Le Car, '73 Celica ST, '76 VW Rabbit, '96 Honda Civic Si coupe, '87 Toyota Corolla GTS hatchbk
Casually looking for
early 240Z, Celica All-Trac ST165, Supra Turbo A80, NSX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:18 am 

Nice... I would need new moldings (for all windows) too. :lol:

BTW. is this correct? http://www.northvanmitsubishi.ca/about/ ... aspx?lng=2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:20 am 

CMA wrote:
Nice... I would need new moldings (for all windows) too. :lol:

BTW. is this correct? http://www.northvanmitsubishi.ca/about/ ... aspx?lng=2

That's the one. It used to be a Suzuki dealer until they pulled out of US and Canada. They still have a bunch of specialty tools for sukes. The two parts and service guys know their stuff and are nice to deal with. Total understand the cult following for the swift GT.

'60 Austin Healey Sprite, '67 Austin Healey 3000, '74 celica GT w/ 18rg, '88 RX7 10th anniversary, '89 MR2 SC, '05 Infiniti G35 6MT

Had
'80 Renault Le Car, '73 Celica ST, '76 VW Rabbit, '96 Honda Civic Si coupe, '87 Toyota Corolla GTS hatchbk
Casually looking for
early 240Z, Celica All-Trac ST165, Supra Turbo A80, NSX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:48 pm 

Quote:
Total understand the cult following for the swift GT.

Clinty, you mean they understand the Cultus following for the Swift GT =)

Last edited by suzukitom on Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.