TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:30 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:49 pm 

Just wanted to say, I am actually in the middle of doing a timing belt on a Mazda Miata as well as my Swift.

The Miata, which is fun to drive but put together idiotically, is making me appreciate Suzukis more than ever. What other front drive car will let you change the belt without removing a motor mount?

For purely superficial reasons, you must remove the whole valve cover before you can even inspect the Miata's belt (12+fasteners right there) and see the cam marks. You must MUST drain the coolant because the thermostat housing is in between the belts. I will drain the coolant on my GT, but only because I plan to also replace the waterpump.

I have a RWD Volvo too, which is also satisfying and relatively easy to work on, but wrenching on the Swift is the best. I can't wait to get it back on the road as the belt looks like it actually had a small amount of stretch at 60k, so it should pick up a little power when everything is tight :)

Cheers!

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:01 pm 

Doing the same thing on my 85 Chevy Sprint. Very easy to do, unless a step is missed.....

1985 Chevy Sprint Mk1 G10 5 Speed Sky Blue

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:09 pm 

The irony, :thwack:

"Without loosening the motor mount" :roll:

Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to "stuck crank bolt horror".

Oh well, still not the car's fault. Appears some very reputable DC area mechanics are in to putting a bunch of loctite on crank bolts and cam sprocket bolts before torquing them to oblivion :cry:

Modern cordless tools are amazing however--1200ft/lbs of breaking torque is no joke :yeahyeah

I'll be sad to return that badboy to Home Depot, but I just don't need it for anything else.

Now I just have to figure out how to pull the crank sprocket, because that's apparently stuck pretty good too. I believe some of this is my fault, because I installed and underdrive pulley that mangled, and required subsequent modification of, my timing cover that made it less weatherproof than one might prefer. Corrosion...

Ah well, the difference the pulley makes is noticeable so i guess I'll live with my poor decisions. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:07 am 

I was worried about my keyway because the sprocket was so hard to remove--surprised the FSM makes no mention of a puller and I am not sure if you could get one to grab it anyway.

I used the pulley bolts and a washer to pull it without having to beat on anything. That's a lug nut in there against the washer--when I pushed that in the whole way I swapped it for a socket. This took way longer than it should have, but it's satisfying to get everything apart without doing any damage.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:57 pm 

Good thinking . I never had to do that on any of my cars since all my cars have AC. The opposite is an issue with AC equipped cars , loosened pulley bolt and destroyed key . I have few cranks to prove it and to be reminded to periodically re-tighten that bolt to specs.
:roll:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:10 pm 

Thats just plain clever!