TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:47 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:07 pm 

I've puttin in some posts about my car a while ago, but now my project will hopefully get finished.

Since 2001 I've been working with this car, but now I feel that this must come to an end. The enginge works perfect (it makes 285 hp), but the rest of the car (the chassie) just cant handle the power. Therefore, the car is going to be totally rebuilt.

Look att the pictures below to get an idea about what is going to happen..

13/7 Just getting started with the disassembly.

17/ The car is getting naked.

My 285 hp engine will probably be replaced with a newly built G13B (more power).

The transmission I will use (Getrag 265).

The rear axle (BMW 325) that will hold my 10 inch wide wheels.

Last edited by runbag on Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:07 pm 

Welcome back runbag, nice job!!!
What engine management are you running? (curious about that crank trigger.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:17 am 

Woooow!

Maybe You will be selling those shotpeened rods? I'm interrested in that stuff :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:37 am 

Wow, cool. So you are changing the mounting of the engine from transverse to longitudinal? You are not tempted to just stick a V6 in there? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:59 pm 

baldurg:
Im using a Haltech E6K, and the crank trigger (60-2 tooth) is custom made by a friend.

Colin:
About those rods. Well, when it's time to replace them, I'll have that in my mind :)

Twisty:
Thats right, but there is nothing in this world that could make me use anything else than a G13B 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:18 pm 

Exactly, why put a heavy engine into a Swift?
I'm not sure how much a G13B weighs but I think it's close to 50kg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:43 pm 

baldurg wrote:
Exactly, why put a heavy engine into a Swift?
I'm not sure how much a G13B weighs but I think it's close to 50kg.

Yea, something like that.. And it is capable to a LOT of power, so why not use it? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:41 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

the transmission looks like the heaviest part, what's it from ? any details on the tranny itself or how you're going to adapt it to the g13b ? this is some awesome info for some possible future projects, like stuffing a (turbocharged) g13b into an mg gt or triumph gt6 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:50 pm 

holy intercooler lol that thing is HUGE! do it even fit behng ur bumper lol it that tranny from like a a sidekick cuz they used G13B's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:30 am 

n1tro:
The tranny comes from some BMW model, I'm not sure wich specific. Actually it looks bigger than it really is, and the weight is nearly the same as the swift tranny. I'll take a broken swift tranny and cut away the housing that is mounted to the engine. Then I'll do the same with the housing to the tranny (reverse). These two parts will then be aligned/welded together.

smallbutfurious:
Yes, that IC is BIG :lol:
It comes from an Iveco truck, and I had to rebuild my bumper a lot. Actually I used a bumper from a swift GLX. Unfortunately I have no pics at the bumper when was ready, but this is how it looked under the contruction part.

Last edited by runbag on Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:54 am 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Hum, not a huge fan of rwd conversion but I like it when someone is not afraid to put work and dedication into a project like this one. :thumb2:

Since you're going to re-do all the i/c piping, I would suggest you to use 2 1/4 piping all around and then, chop 6" off of the lower section of the i/c itself, it's way too big. You should also chop the whole tanks off and make yourself a set of nice aluminum tanks with 2 1/4 inlet/outlet instead of the actual 4 inches. Trust me, your whole setup will be much more efficient with these mods. No doubt that you're experiencing quite a drop of pressure with such a huuuge i/c, no counting poor airspeed due to larger than necessary pipes diameter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:52 pm 

RWD cars is faster :) Well, the actual reason why this conversion ever is done, is that swedish regulations wont ever let you use a Suzuki Swift "turbo" at the streets. By building a whole new chassie with a lot of modifications, I can come to a workaround to get a street legal car. It will be registred at what is called an "amateur built viecle", and then suddenly the turbo is no problem :) At this time (when the whole chassie is going to be rebuilt), it's just as easy to make it RWD instead.

The car is going to be built so it can be used with progress att both street/strip/drag. All chassiemountings will be built so it easily can be swapped to fit the type of use.

Today I use 2.5 inch piping (intake manifold has 2.5 inch, and i/c has 3 inch mountings), and I really must say that the i/c more fit my needs that I ever could imagined. I have gas response that is comparable with most stock cars, and as the engine more or less is supposed to work between 5000-9000 rpm, some "lag" at lower rpm:s could be accepted. The Intake air temperature is 21 degrees celcius/70 degrees fahrenheit at 8000 rpm:s, that just cant be bad. I wont say that you are wrong about the i/c size, but concidering future plans I think that I'll keep the i/c as it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:06 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Well, If it work as it should, there is no point in changing it. That'S an impressive work noneteless. I guess we must all learn the saying 'one day at a time' when it come to that kind of project.
How long do you think it will take to have it up and running?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:19 pm 

As you say, you have to take one step a time... No more.

My plan is to have the car ready in about a year. But.., you newer know :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:16 pm 

its half the size of the IC on a turbo detroit diesel
lol but i love what ur doing man i think it will be fun plus you have the added bonus of driving the only way cars should go "sideways" good luck in the build

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:39 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

I'm very impressed, and I like your approach of using Getrag hardware. I've also been mentally engineering a RWD conversion myself. I'm starting to get sick of the weak drivetrain that comes stock with Swifts. I have two Swifts, both with dead transmissions, both with worn out CV joints. I don't wanna deal with this crap anymore! :x There is also a limit to the handling and performance that can be squeezed out of a FWD vehicle. I couldn't think of a better combination of a lightweight car like a Swift, converted over to a superior handling RWD configuration. I'm willing to bet such a setup could make the Swift a capable drift car too. Lighter cars handle easier at the limits. The current lightweight favorite drift car is the AE86 Corolla GTS (2600 lbs), is 900 lbs heavier than a Swift (1700 lbs). I could only imagine what dealing with terminal oversteer on a 3400 lb Supra must be like.
My ideas is to use the tranny/rear end from a Samurai. It bolts up directly to the G13B, different gearsets are available for it on the aftermarket. Also LSDs and differential lockers are commonly available as well. If I choose to, I could also add the transfer case and possibly rig up some kind of 4WD system.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject: rear drive - rear ?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:02 am 
Teamswift Racer

what no rear engine :)
turbo engine looks good. good size intercooler for the low drop and good temp exchange.
DOWNPIPE < now that is serious. no puny 2 inch crap there. no wastegate dumping back in

keep up the good werk. post lots of pics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:42 am 

The car has now been lowered down to make some measuring about ground clearance, wheel base, total height, etc. Doesn't it look really nice? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:04 pm 

F**k Me thats Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :D

Sorry about the language but DAMN !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:50 am 

Time for some update.

I've constructed an heavy frame that the body have been placed upon. Everything (building the frame, alignment of the frame and body) has been measured vith laser, just to make sure that I'll get a good result. The body was then welded into this construction to make sure it wouldn't move when I began cutting it to pieces.

The whole chassie will be built in crome moly, and here is the the tubes that is prepared to the cage.

No comments needed i think ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:12 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

That is some serious, serious work you've got going on there. 8) You don't mess around, excellent job so far! :thumbsup:

BTW, hacking out the floorpan also looks like an excellent way to deal with rust. :wink:

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:11 pm 

would love to see some updates here Runbag :)
This pic is the last update i can see
I hope this an extra MK1 and the red one is still alive and kicking ;)

Q: Why did God create blondes?
A: Because sheep can't bring beer from the fridge.
Q: Why did God create brunettes?
A: Neither could the blondes.

Last edited by aRandy on Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:14 pm 

aRandy wrote:
would love to see some updates here Runbag :)

Yes, it's about time I guess :)

Just give me one or two more weeks, and I'll return with some pictures and more info :)

(I've been a bit lazy I know) :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:20 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Come on man! We wanna see it already! :wink:

maybe a picture Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next