TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:09 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:52 pm 

Okay here it is! the first review of Suprfly's 212 duration and 340 lift cams for the swift gt. This has been long overdue but i thought that this would help some of you out there debating on whether to go ahead with a set of these or any others. First off i would like to say that Mike is an awesome guy to deal with. he is a straight shooter and is very knowledgeabe about cams. I was the first to buy these cams off him and so i was a little aprehensive myself. the cams were immaculate when i picked them up, an excellent job. i had no problems installing them and they dropped right in without any other modifications, thats what i love best about them. well not really, what i love best about them is that they perform great!!! i love these cams! as soon as you hit 4000 rpm, the car jumps and pulls very strong up to 8000. feels like there is some more but i have not tried and probably won't with stock internals and over 215,000 kms on the clock. the bottom end does not feel any worse than with the stock cams but i most likely have lost a bit because of the increase in duration. I have posted a video in the "race" forum a while ago called "highway blast", if your interested to see my car in action. keep in mind third and fourth gear were slightly uphill so the car was not pulling as strong. now for track tested feedback. i brought the car to the track after the cams and i only managed to tie my personal best when i had the stock cams. Hold on, before you say anything. first off my 60' foot times were over .2 seconds slower than before. i could not get a good launch, i bogged 2 times and just squealed tires another time, then on my last run i managed to get a good launch, but missed third. anyways, with a good launch the cams are good for, at the very least a .3 second increase in the quarter mile. How does it idle? The idle is lumpy but smooth, i have increased the idle very slightly to about 900-950 rpm. i absolutely love the way it idles, sounds like a 60's muscle car. My car has a chip and used to run rich, now with the cams the fuel mixture is much better, spark plugs have perfect colour on them now. As for fuel economy i have lost a little. I still get about 450 kms on a full tank. anything else anyone wants to know about these cams fell free to pm me anytime. Lastly, as for some car to car comparison for your pleasure i have kept up right alongside my cousin's Taurus SHO in a drag race and i smoked a new SIR hatch on the highway the other night, i was behind him and i was able to get right around him and get at least 5-6 car lengths on him until i shut it down i was going way too fast!!! over 200 kph. He did have one other person in the car...okay that was a little too long but hey Mike deserves a little recognition for those cams! pm for anything else.

Post subject: cams
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:23 am 

tonight i had a go on the highway with a swift that has done 15.3 in the quater mile. we were side by side the whole time going from 100 to about 210 km/h. just thought i would add to my original review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:17 am 
King of Pompous

Boy I bet he was one of those people who thought he was all that. Bet he figured he was the :king: of the road in his little snot rocket. LOVE IT when a know it all gets served up for dinner. NICE WORK Swifty...you truly are the :king: and made that little :clown: your :queen: .

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

;)

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Last edited by m on Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: hahaha
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:16 am 

LOL! he has one mean swift. he's got a very strategic setup in that thing whereas i have an all out setup. whats next for the both of us??? till next time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:25 am 
number one!

Although my vert hasn't seen the road yet, I concur with swifty92's comments. I bought the same grind for my project, and the first thing I have to remark is Mike's communication throughout the entire dealing. I know he's busy with real life, but he came through answering every question I had. I outlined my mods thus far (60mm tb/underdrive pulley/toms chip/bigger exhaust/55mm maf; future considerations for megasquirt), and Mike advised me towards the 212 grind. Once the deal was put into motion, he kept me up to date with the progress.

As mentioned, cams looked beautiful. My cores went the greatest by any means, but he worked his voodoo on it. Packaging was top notch, couldn't have asked for better.

As for install, it went without any drama. Easier than shitting down a well in fact. Roars to life, idles along a little bit more huskier than normal but sounds great.

Will post another update when I hit the open road. ETA 1-2 months? Dunno, I may have scored the perpetual car project...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:13 am 

Posted by WE0H,
WE0H wrote:
Well after 4 days of driving my 2000 G13B 16 valve SOHC with my autobox tranny Metro, I have to report the 'Cove cam performs spectacular in all driving conditions.

My mods are the cam, 60mm SR-20 TB, severely modified factory airbox with K&N inside drawing fenderwell air only. No inside fenderwell box or tubing. 3" inlet tube & silicone coupler. Port matched intake runners. Bone stock exhaust for now. Factory computer & software. Modified factory idle speed solenoid.

The powerband starts just above idle RPM and goes to 6000 RPM where my computer shifts the tranny. The powerband is extremely strong with no flat spots anywhere. There is no bogging what so ever. The car drives so smooth and extremely strong. The fuel mileage is decent running on 89 octane pump gas.

I would consider this cam and my simple low dollar mods to anyone who has the new 16v SOHC G13B. It works perfect and is very affordable.

I can't thank you enough Mike for working with me to get this cam in my engine. It is so perfect.

Mike

Last edited by suprf1y on Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:13 am 

mgaBanton wrote:
I have the 4cyl 8V cam. I wasnt really paying attention to the rpm, i was looking at the mph. Before the cam install the car would completely stop pulling at about 40 in 2nd gear. Now i went past 60 and it still had pull. i
I'm guessing I did about 6 grand. we didnt have much room so i couldnt go past 3rd gear i wasnt even in 3rd long. I'll pay more attention to the R's next time. the idle is good, I didnt notice much of a difference until I turned on the A/C. It felt like it was going to stall but i fixed that with the a/c idle screw. its perfect

mgaBanton has the 216/375 cam in his 1.3 SOHC 8V motor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:16 pm 

larry griffith wrote:
OK a bit of an update on my Cove Cam. I put this one in a 1999 metro 1.0 with a 5 speed. The cam is 220 duration.
1. The cam works about like I expected, nice lope at about 800 RPM. And pulls a few more RPM on top.
2. I was getting an EGR flow code about every 200 miles due to the 2-inch straight through exhaust before the cam swap. Now it only comes on about once a week or 500 miles. So the cam helped here also.
3. The 0 to 65 MPH time improved by 1.5 second’s. From 16.5 to a blistering 15 flat, this was timed by the OBDII reader and a Vericom 200.
4. Overall a well worth the trouble and expense.

With that said some things I did note about this car

1. The cam is not hollow like the earlier ones and has a longer pin. The older style cam seems to fit fine.
2. The timing gears and belt are a lot wider on the 1999 motor. The top gear looks like the twin cam gear not the stamped gear.
3. Most power pulleys are made to fit on the crank key, this motor has a small drive pin that is offset and will make the timing marks off.
4. the 185-60r14 tires on this car are to tall ! I put some 175-50 r13’S on and picked up a full secound to 14 flat 0 to 65mph. This was timed with the Vericom since the shorter tire invalidates the OBDII reading.

My goal with this car was obtained , to be able to get up to 70 mph at the end of the on ramp. Stock it could only do a little over 50 . it also gets about the same mileage, right around 40.
Please add me to the positive feedback list!
Thanks
Larry

Larry has the 220/350 cam in his 3cyl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:12 pm 

sup guys, im just about to rebuild a head for my 91 gt and im looking for a slightly more agressive cam. the ones for the g13b sound great!. is there any necessary timing adjustments?

and secondly HOW MUCHH :P

ha thanks,..

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:09 pm 

Got the cams, finally installed them today with Black_stripped_Gt(steve) and damn, nothing but amazing things to say about them
sounds like a mini street rod when idling :lol:
great deal, great cam, a++++ and +

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:21 pm 

Finally got my cams installed today. It's amazing how fast the rpm goes from idle to exactly 8k rpm. :shock:
My cams are advanced +4 and +2 and I have Sandros chip.
It idles rough but very steady at 1000rpm.
Car pulls very strong to 8k rpm. 2 thumbs WAY up.

Thanks Mike! 8)

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:52 pm 

Today my gf and I threw her recently purchased 210/340 3tech cams in her GTi (srd header, u/d pulley, K&N filter). It was a bit of a painful job, but that's because I'm used to having a lot of room under the hood of my own 1.0 =). Took about an hour and a half, fired right up and the expected lumpy idle made me grin instantly :twisted:. Throttle response is much better, intake and exhaust are both much louder than before and it revs like crazy 8) We didn't get to test it properly due to lots of traffic and a non existent 2nd gear, but the few times I floored it in 1st and 3rd, it pulled HARD and the sound coming with it is just simply awesome. Worth every penny! :D

- 0,5mm oversized pistons
- mildly ported head, 1,7mm taken off
- ss exhaust valves
- 222/365 3tech cam
- +10 gear
- K&N air filter
- TBI bridge removed
- 40mm throttle and intake manifold
- srd underdrive pulley
- AASCO 3kg flywheel with GTi clutch
- GTi catback
- deleted cat, now 2" ss pipe