TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:22 am 

so today I instaled my new white face gauges and when taking verything apart I start to notice gear oil all over the place. once I got the cluster out there was a pool of oil in behind it. I know it is some how coming up the speedo cable but why? does my tranny have to much oil in it. I just replaced it at christmas time and I might have put to much in. but I thought I didn't put enough in. anyone got any ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:33 am 
a.k.a Bum head

There's a seal that's gone in the speedo assembly in your tranny. Gear oil siphons up the cable when the seal goes. Hit the search button... there's an article on it... seriously. :D

Chris

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42901&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:25 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

There's a Suzuki TSB that addresses this problem. The way to fix it is to got the dealership and order updated parts:
Lihtan wrote:
TSB # TS3-0403261
Transmission oil leak at speedometer head (many Swift models are effected, but only the GTi/GT M/T part numbers are present here)
New parts:
1) Speedometer gear case : 29431-60B00
2) Speedometer driven gear (M/T, GTi): 26131-64B00
3) Oil seal (M/T) : 26151-60B00
4) Pin : 09205-03036
5) O-ring : 09280-16012
6) Speedo cable : 34910-61b20

Everything on this list will cost you about $120 CAD. It'll probably be easier to change your speedo cable if you remove the dashboard. I'll be doing the same work on my car as soon as I'm able to afford to pick up the parts at the dealership.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:04 pm 

Is there any easy way to determine if this has been done to a car already?

I bought the car over the summer. Although there are no signs of the speedo oil problem as of yet, I would hate to just leave it and learn the hard way that the update has not been done. Conversely, I dont want to spend $120 if it has already been done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:01 pm 

It is one of the worst things ever. It happened in my old GTi and it cost me a tranny and 2 pair of shoes. It stinks too. Get it fixed ASAP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:11 pm 
Suzuki Elder

most of the parts on that list from suzuki comes from what the dealer did to resolve the issue. the speedo cable got replaced only because it took a tech longer in labor to clean the goop off the cable than the part cost (plus they got to charge for a new cable :twisted: )

to recover from that, clean the cable in a solvent bath. re-oil the cable with light oil and replace the o- ring at the transmission end. then clean up the grease spot in your dash while you're in there bashing around :lol:

we ought to give this problem a number. then when people ask about it, we could just tell them the number and they could look it up! :ez_pimp:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:57 pm 
Jomohunter

Oh that is what is dripping on my pants and shoes! I was having a hard time figuring out what that was. It started right after my transmision was replaced. now I know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:25 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Part of the problem is that the drive gear assembly for the speedo cable tends to accumulate oil. The replacement part in the TSB has a drainhole to prevent that from happening. When you swap a transmission you also inherit whatever drive gear assembly came with it. It's entirely possible to have a major tranny fluid leak out the speedo cable after a transmission swap, I know cause mine sure did.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:23 am 

ok so what I should get is the new drive gear and the o-ring? has any one done this to their swift them selfs? just wondering if it is pretty easy fix or a pain it the butt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:24 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

The drive gear assembly is bolted to the top of the tranny with either 1 or 2 10mm bolts, it's what your speedo cable connects to. The O ring is on the end of the speedo cable. If you want to change the speedo cable too, it would probably be best to pull the dashboard. The same time you've got the dash pulled out you can clean all the gear oil accumulation from the steering colum, wiring harness, insturments and the dash itself.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:12 pm 

looks like I've got the same problem. I found tons of gear oil behind my dash this morning. Gonna have to get the peices and repair it this weekend. Anyone know what the Bare Necessities off of that part list are?

Thx in advance

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:40 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

I believe the bare necessities would be the drive gear unit that mounts to the tranny, and the shaft seal which is supposed to keep the oil out. This is the location where the gear oil accumulation starts. Once it's pumped into the cable, it's too late. You'll later find it coming out the backside of the instrument cluster. I've noticed on some drive gear shafts, the shaft itself has a spiral groove cut into it. Depending on which way it rotates, it would either aid pumping oil into the cable, or help extract it. Although the replacement gear shaft I bought from the dealer was smooth.

You may also have some luck with a junkyard solution. After I replaced the tranny in my old car, I had a problem with gear oil hemorrhaging into the interior. The tranny I used came from a MK2, and I just happened to use the speedo cable drive gear unit that came with it. Later when I moved that tranny to my current car, I had access to a MK3 drive unit, and put it in as an experiment. Low and behold I haven't had any gear oil problems since. I also never made any use of the speedo cable parts I bought from the dealer. The difference I noticed between the MK2 and MK3 drive gear units, is that the MK3 has a hole drilled through the gear housing presumably to let oil out.

New replacement GTi speedo drive gear parts:

The part numbers listed earlier in this thread were for a 5 speed GTi. Here's the whole TSB with all the part numbers (you should still confirm the part numbers with your dealer):

Suzuki TSB wrote:
Division: Automotive

Category: Technical
TSB No. TS3-04 12110

Section Title: Drivetrain
SUBJECT: TRANSMISSION OIL LEAK AT SPEEDOMETER HEAD
MODEL: SWIFT (ALL)
YEAR: MAY 1989 PRODUCTION AND EARLIER

1: Speedometer driven gear case------29431-60B00
2: Speedometer driven gear------------26131-60B00----M/T
---------------------------------------------26131-64B00----M/T (GT,GTi)
---------------------------------------------26131-62B00----A/T
---------------------------------------------26131-62B40----A/T (GTi)
3: Oil seal---------------------------------26151-60B00----M/T
---------------------------------------------09280-08001----A/T
4: Pin--------------------------------------09205-03036
5: "O" ring---------------------------------09280-16012
6: Speedo cable---------------------------34910-61B20

In cases where the transmission oil leaks from the speedometer head, replace the following components:
An oil drain hole has been added to the new style gear case and the diameter of the slotted end of the driven gear has been decreased by 0.5 mm. INSTALLATION PRECAUTIONS:
• Be certain the oil seal is fully seated and square to the bore.
• Be certain the slotted end of the driven gear has no sharp edges that might damage the seal when installed
• Lubricate driven gear and "O" ring parts.

maybe a picture Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:02 pm 

:?: So oil climbs up the cable when the oil seal wears out?
Oil seal ----26151-60B00----M/T
-----09280-08001----A/T

And the newer driven gear case, 29431-60B00, has a drain hole just above the gear?
So we could drill a hole through the older case?

daily driver: red 1991 Metro 3cyl 5sp, roof rack, 8 degree advance,
got 61 mpg combined on 14" tires but i prefer 12"

completed frame up restoration: black 1994 Swift GT 5sp -- like new ! 45mpg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:31 pm 

My 89 pushed through so much oil that it flooded through the gauges and dripped onto my feet.

I read about all the replacement parts but thought I would just try drilling the hole first. I took apart the gear case and removed the gear and shaft. I drilled a hole half way through so that it entered the shaft area. I drilled it about the same size as the pin hole size. I did not have a spare seal, so I put it all back together with no other modifications. I just pulled the speedo cable now and checked it again and there is no oil at all in the housing and no sign of oil in the speedo cable. I guess ideally you would change the seal as well, but my understanding is that it is a little difficult to get the old one out. All I can say is that just drilling a hole worked for me. Your results may vary. It would seem like a simple first step to solving the problem. You can measure your success by just pulling out the speedo cable once in a while to see if there is any oil in there.

1990 Swift
1992 Swift

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:01 pm 

The oil pushes through the seal, so drilling an old case might not help.
The Suzuki dealer here has new part numbers:

Old: 29431-60B00 (housing)
New: 29431-74C00
It retails for $38.10 and is 'back ordered' throughout the U.S.
also
Old: 26151-60B00 (seal)
New: 09282-08001 also 'back ordered' so unavailable...retails for $3.18

Looking at the set up, the seal is the main culprit.
For example, even with the new housing which has the extra hole drilled, at 208,000 miles the oil has begun to creep up and drip from the back of the speedometer.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:46 pm 

An update:

Whether you've been checking through the parts catalog :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: , or reading this thread
the seal

09282-08001

is no longer 'back ordered' but is in stock and available via your Suzuki dealer. Thanks for that!

Drilling an extra hole in the casing may or may not stop your leak; installing that seal should end the fluid from climbing the speedometer cable. It is the more definitive fix.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:42 am 

I, too, suffered from stinky speedo syndrome.

I removed the speedo drive housing, disassembled it, and drilled it as discussed above. I re-installed it, but oil continued to drip from the instrument panel. So, I bought all the new parts for the speedometer drive, including the cable.

I removed the old speedo drive from the top of the transmission case and disassembled it to salvage the rolled pin, no longer available from Suzuki (or so I'm told). I reassembled the speedo drive with the new pieces.

I removed the lower trim panels from dash, then dropped the steering column by loosening all 4 bolts holding it in place. (This allowed the steering column to drop much lower than it had the first time I disassembled the dash, so I had much more clearance to remove the instrument panel garnish. Had I done that earlier, I would have seen the multiple connectors for the switches mounted in the garnish, and would not have felt obliged to disassemble one of the switches in order to remove it.)

I removed instrument panel garnish, pulled instrument panel towards me as far as cables/wires would allow. Released speedo cable and 3 multiple connectors and pulled instruments from dash.

Upon removing the instrument panel, I found a small pool of oil had formed in a valley of plastic behind it. Oil had continued to drip (albeit more slowly) after I drilled the original speedo drive housing. I don't know whether the drip was from the pool or from the cable, so I don't know whether drilling the housing cured the problem.

In addition, the printed circuit overlay on the back of the instrument panel had oil between it and the instrument housing.

I mopped up all the oil in the dash/behind the trim panels, and gently slid a paper towel between the overlay and the housing, to soak up all the oil I could.

I removed the speedo cable from the dash, pulling it into the engine compartment. It took some time to work the end with the clip out from under the dash. Helpful hint: remove the wiper arms and cowl trim in order to remove speedo cable. You need to be able to reach into the gap beneath the cowl trim.

I put the new cable in place, clipped it to the back of instrument panel, and secured to speedo drive in top of transmission. I snapped multiple connectors back in place, installed instrument panel and garnish, put steering column back in place. (Be sure to replace the trough-shaped instrument panel brace correctly, otherwise the steering column won't fit properly.) I replaced the trim panels and voila - no more stinky transmission oil dripping onto my ankles! (And I only lost 1 trim screw in the process.)

Roughly $100 for the parts. Maybe it was unnecessary to replace all the parts, but I didn't want to do the job again.

I'm sure the old hands could have done this job with their eyes closed, but I thought newbies like me would appreciate more step-by-step instructions.