TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:40 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3cyl. Tach !
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:45 pm 

Greetings to all, I just purchased a 94 Metro with the 1l 3cyl. engine. I was browsing though the forum looking for a thread talking about tachs for the 3cyl engines and didn't find any...
I went to the local auto store and they only carry tachs for 4-6-8 cylinder engines.
What are my options for a working tach in my car ? MK1/2 turbo cluster ?
Homemade tach ?

Thanks ! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:03 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

a few threads on this
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php? ... ght=3+tach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:09 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Hit up the :search: button , type in "3 cyl tach", and check Search for all terms. You'll get plenty of answers.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:36 pm 

Thanks to all !
Cheers :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:45 pm 

Just a question, didn't the 3cyl manuals come with one? (convertable i'm thinking of) the stock cluster i thought they had a rpm guage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:47 pm 

Not that I'm aware of....

'94 Suzuki Swift g10 3tech stuff:Port&Polish,225/355 cam,11:1 CR, SS valves,+10 Cam gear,underdrive; K&N intake; LTLSU's Custom racing springs with Monroe struts (2" lower front, 0.5" lower back); 185/55/R14 Kumho Ecsta SPT tires on Eagle 040 rims; Stripped out interior and removed AC system

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:54 pm 

All of the vert's that I have seen came with a tach because they were the LSI models. I believe it was available in the LSI coupe's too but the only coupe I have seen with a tach was in a junkyard and it was a 96 with a 3 cyl.

"M3 like the BMW?"
"No, like the Gillette razor."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:49 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

I have a 3-cyl dash out of a '91 2-door, but likely it wasn't stock with that car. Like was mentioned above, I've seen dashes with tachs in the convertible models as well.

Didn't we come to a conclusion that the tach isn't driven directly from the coil but instead by the ECU, making the 3/4 cylinder discussion unnecessary? If someone had a GTi nearby, I'd bring one of my 3-cyl dashes with me to check it out...

Chris

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42901&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:02 pm 

CJDavE wrote:
the tach isn't driven directly from the coil but instead by the ECU

Chris

what if you car does not have a ECU ?
like ones with carbs ?

The FiSh :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:59 pm 

there are a few dash clusters on sale right now on E-Bay,clusters have factory tachs built in,most of these guys say the wiring is all ready in the dash for it,just clip on and go,unless you buy an aftermarket tach,then you have to buy one that accomidates three cylinder engines....hope it helps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:58 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

CJDavE wrote:
I have a 3-cyl dash out of a '91 2-door, but likely it wasn't stock with that car. Like was mentioned above, I've seen dashes with tachs in the convertible models as well.

Didn't we come to a conclusion that the tach isn't driven directly from the coil but instead by the ECU, making the 3/4 cylinder discussion unnecessary? If someone had a GTi nearby, I'd bring one of my 3-cyl dashes with me to check it out...

Chris

i checked the wiring diagrams for the mk1's & mk2's and they're both T'd directly off the coil, same wire that feeds the ecu, so they are 3 or 4 cyl specific.
mk3's appear to be wired the same, so it may only be the later mk4/5 cars (95+) that are driven off the ecu or the people who posted that info initially didn't notice the 3/4 difference. i've got a good digital multimeter with a tach function so i can compare the real rpm's vs. the oem tachs now ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:40 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

n1tr0 wrote:
i checked the wiring diagrams for the mk1's & mk2's and they're both T'd directly off the coil, same wire that feeds the ecu, so they are 3 or 4 cyl specific.
mk3's appear to be wired the same, so it may only be the later mk4/5 cars (95+) that are driven off the ecu or the people who posted that info initially didn't notice the 3/4 difference. i've got a good digital multimeter with a tach function so i can compare the real rpm's vs. the oem tachs now ...

There we go... finally cleared up. :D

And I just realized that my multimeter does the same thing... I just haven't ever used it for that. (I'd have to divide by the number of cylinders, but it'll still work...)

Chris

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42901&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:18 pm 

Instead of messing around with a aftermarket tack. I bought a 3cyl cluster with a tach for $60 off ebay. Removed mine plugged it in and everything works fine :D. Nice and easy the way I like it lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:36 pm 

thats exactly what I said,,,,theres a bunch of them on E-Bay right now,easy to do,plug in and go.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:01 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

CJDavE wrote:
n1tr0 wrote:

There we go... finally cleared up. :D

And I just realized that my multimeter does the same thing... I just haven't ever used it for that. (I'd have to divide by the number of cylinders, but it'll still work...)

Chris

my multimeter has the inductive pickup, so it just reads off whichever spark plug lead you hook it up to .. # of cylinders not required

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:31 pm 
Suzuki Elder

so, your folks did have that fancy multimeter packed away in their luggage when they came to visit! :lol:

you lucky guy :D

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:42 pm 

n1tr0 wrote:
my multimeter has the inductive pickup, so it just reads off whichever spark plug lead you hook it up to .. # of cylinders not required

Except for cars with waste spark ignition systems where the plugs fire on both the exhaust and combustion cycles. Or two strokes.

Any interest in a 're-cal'ing' service to convert a 4 cyl factory tach for 3 cyl use or vice versa?

dave

- New bearings and 1st/2nd synchros at 440.5K miles.
- MPGuino
- Averaging ~ 51MPG these days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:06 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

JellyBeanDriver wrote:
...Any interest in a 're-cal'ing' service to convert a 4 cyl factory tach for 3 cyl use or vice versa?

dave

Instead of tampering with the electronics, a tach could also be converted by changing the graphics on the instrument face. Here's a Photoshop mock-up of a MK2 GTi tach remapped for 3 cylinder operation. The bonus with this is the gauge has enough range to read to 11,000 RPM!

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:16 am 

Essentially, you could apply the same idea to any 4 cly tach....

'94 Suzuki Swift g10 3tech stuff:Port&Polish,225/355 cam,11:1 CR, SS valves,+10 Cam gear,underdrive; K&N intake; LTLSU's Custom racing springs with Monroe struts (2" lower front, 0.5" lower back); 185/55/R14 Kumho Ecsta SPT tires on Eagle 040 rims; Stripped out interior and removed AC system

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:39 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

Zurech wrote:
Essentially, you could apply the same idea to any 4 cly tach....

...or aftermarket tachs for that matter. Although the way the mathematics work, it would start to get silly seeing 15000 - 20000 RPM tachs. :wink:

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:02 am 

Lihtan wrote:
Instead of tampering with the electronics, a tach could also be converted by changing the graphics on the instrument face. Here's a Photoshop mock-up of a MK2 GTi tach remapped for 3 cylinder operation. The bonus with this is the gauge has enough range to read to 11,000 RPM!

Cool but what would you print it on to make it actually look factory? At work we get professional labels done that are printed on lexan sheets that are then die cut. What would a home person use?
Dave

- MPGuino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:52 am 

I would be able to get them done with vinyl.... not sure on a price though, but it wouldnt be too much. I would have a hard time seeing it be over 10 bucks US.

Do you know the actual dimensions that the sticker would have to be for the tach..... I'm a bit intersted, although I'd have to find one for myself still (4cyl consol). If you know the actual exact dimensions... or is the pic 1:1 ? Then I could get some stickers made, of any colour combonation, then people could try them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:12 pm 

Zurech wrote:
I would be able to get them done with vinyl.... not sure on a price though, but it wouldnt be too much. I would have a hard time seeing it be over 10 bucks US.

Would it still be backlit for night time visibility? Or would it look off since you're now looking through the original face and the vinyl one stuck on top of it?

Dave

- MPGuino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:21 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

It would replace the entire instrument face, so while the tach gets updated, you'd also be changing the speedo and any other gauges that are shared on the same panel.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:09 am 

I could still get a sticker to do that, if I have a scale design for it. I dont know the price, its about 5-7 USD per squar foot though. As for lighting.... well that would have to be tested. I dont know about any other way to do it except maybe have the backlights enhanced to be very very bright so they would show through....