TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: turbo rebuild/upgrade
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:10 pm 

Hey guys,

just curious... but how much/hard would it be to rebuild the stock turbo on our cars? I wouldn't mind spending a day just tinkering around with it to learn. Also, while it's apart, is there any DIY improvements that could be made to the turbo? I'm a newbie at turbos, but I am mechanically inclined (that's the best way I can put it).

However, if I'm going to take it out, I was also wondering if there is an option to upgrade the turbo itself. Perhaps one from another car and bolt it right on? Or would any other turbo require custom fabrication?

all this would be on a stock engine. I'm not looking to put out huge amounts of boost, or anything that would borderline stress on the motor. I figure that if something is gonna come out, then I might as well do what I can to "improve" on it before it goes back in.

thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:18 pm 

Ok, here goes nothing :wink: :

A rebuild kit IS AVAILABLE from the Canadian IHI turbo distributor located in Vancouver. It is $183.71. If you buy 2, you get 10% off. The number is:

British Columbia, Canada
18940 94th Avenue
Surrey, BC, Canada V4N 4X5
Toll free: 800-663-6308
Telephone: (604) 888-3726
email: salesbc@adpdist.com

There also may be a dealer located in Ontario here:

Ontario, Canada
119 Spy Court
Markham, ON L3R 5H6
Toll Free: 800-601-7888
Telephone: (905) 264-0602
Facsimile: (905) 264-0626
email: saleson@adpdist.com

As for an upgrade, there is only one other turbocharger that will fit our cars, and that is the RHF3 (an exact replica of the RHB32, EXCEPT it is a ball bearing turbo. Ours spin on oillite bushings). Hopefully that covers everything. Oh yea, the RHF3 should be $850-$900cdn. You can contact Jardmuth about getting a new manifold and a bigger turbo, which would probably run you $1200cdn if I remember what he quoted me. $950 if you did it yourself.

Adam

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:21 pm 

HITempGuy,

thanks for the info! I went to do a SEARCH for "turbo" in the search engine and it came up with over 1000 results... so, thanks again. I think I'll just do the rebuild and learn from there. Have you done a rebuild on the stock turbo? Any special tools needed? Was it pretty straight forward?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:27 pm 

DONT BREAK SH1T! :lol: Rule number one right there, as you'll never get parts for it. Ok, first off, your bolts that hold the turbo together are gonna be a pain in the butt to get out. You must soak them in WD-40 for at least a day (had to weld a bolt to mine), or else you will snap them off (all the thermal expansion). Welding them also causes the metal to expand, but the bolt contracts quicker, so that might also work. When taking the impeller out, do so very carefully. Especially when you take the nut off the shaft. Ummmmm..... if you know somebody handy with a welder, get them to fix any cracks in the wastegate, as there are bound to be some. Rebuilding it is extremely simple, there are 2 e-clips, an o-ring, and two "special" oillite bushings. Other than that, your good to go!

Adam

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:56 pm 

sounds good to me... I'm used to using the impact to remove bolts... would it be "wise" to remove seized bolts with impacts? Other than that... sounds like something I now definately would wanna do. thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:51 pm 

If the impact has different settings, then yes, it would be HELPFUL in this case, as it may knock the bolts loose, but make sure to have it on a very low air pressure setting.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:09 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

Or you can use vice grips and a propane torch. I'll be surprised if the exhaust side bolts are even recognisable as anything but nubs. Mine're pretty much eroded away from the heat.

Chris

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42901&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:46 pm 

Whats the easiest way to pull the turbo on a MK1? Pull downpipe first? Disconnect anything?Just pull exhaust and manifold? Help me as I will be doing this very soon. From the looks of it with the AC condensor in the car, I am half tempted to pull the head with the manifold and crap attached like when I did the head gasket........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:59 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

Start at the turbo-manifold junction. If the bolts there won't come out nicely, work your way back to the manifold or the head bolts.

The downpipe ought to be easy to unbolt from the turbo, but if it isn't, go for the bolts at the other end connecting it to the rest of the exhaust.

Tip: always do this stuff either with a nice hot torch (propane or better) or with the manifold nice and hot. Use insulated gloves unless you like blisters.

Get some anti-sieze (if you didn't think of it yet) and put it on everything when you're reassembling.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:24 am 

how about gaskets? Would we have to "special order" them from GM? I don't really like using the copper RTV silicone by itself..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:56 pm 

There are no gaskets, except for the oil return line and another pipe. Just reuse the ones you have. Or at least, thats what I did :lol:

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:55 pm 

the place sown the street from me has the rebuild kit for $128.92 US

I will be doing this soon as I am using 1.5 quarts a day to drive 135miles.

Has anyone taken pics? If not, I will try to do so since I just bought a new digital camera.

Post subject: Turbo Rebuild
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:48 pm 
The Smuggler

HiTempguy wrote:
There are no gaskets, except for the oil return line and another pipe. Just reuse the ones you have. Or at least, thats what I did :lol:

I changed my Turbo with a rebuilt unit in early January.
the first time I have ever worked on a Turbo in my life.
In regards to the gaskets they should be stainless steel, and look more like a shim than a gasket. FYI they are not available anywhere.

Clean them carefully and don't bend them, reuse them with a thin coating of the red hitemp silicone gasket maker permatex loctite makes.
If you need some call me and I will give you the rest of my tube I used.
This will help seal the surfaces that bolt to the turbo when reassembling.

When you unbolt the unit you can't undo the oil line bolt till you can move the turbo away from the manifold. once it is unbolted from manifold and down pipe, you can move it away enough to get at the oil line bolt.
It is a very important bolt so be careful, it has the oiling hole through the middle to feed the oil through the turbo.

Also check the oil return hose under the turbo, which is connected to a pipe just above the oil pan. If it needs replacing, I have a hose for you also.
Soak all your bolts in solvent get them clean,and use an antisieze on the threads when you bolt it back up.
The coolant lines that feed the antifreeze are 5/16, and fuel line works great to replace them it's got a reinforsement so it won't colapse on bends.

I took my time on a nice day and 3 hrs to re & re.

if you need anything call me I will be glad to help out.

Knuckles

Keep your eye on the boost guage!
And I love this one!
"Dale Jarrett's crew chief" "Drive it like ya STOLE IT!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:29 pm 

HiTempguy wrote:

As for an upgrade, there is only one other turbocharger that will fit our cars, and that is the RHF3 (an exact replica of the RHB32, EXCEPT it is a ball bearing turbo.
Adam

Does the RHF3 come stock on any vehicle? Also do you need to modify any oil, or coolant lines? Does it bolt directly on to the exhaust manifold and the exhaust?

Dustin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:48 pm 

Unfortunatley, you will have to call them up yourself. I did not ask about the flanges, and from my limited knowledge, the RHF3 is not a standard turbocharger on any vehicle because it is the same size as the RHB32, which is to small for most vehicles that you would turbocharge in the first place. If it was stock, somebody would be able to tell you if the flanges were the proper ones. All theses questions can be answered by talking to these guys. As I said, unfortunatley I was more interested in the rebuild kit at the time then a new turbo.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:20 am 

Thx, I'll chech into it and post whatever I find out. 8)

Dustin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:34 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

Well, in my continuing search for upgrade options, I've decided to look a bit closer at the RHF3. Might offer some more reliability, but beyond that I doubt that there would be much of a difference.

(Can't justify a custom manifold and larger turbo right at the moment, since don't want the hassle of dealing with fitting the manifold, running coolant and oil lines, moving AC components around, etc...)

Did anyone actually contact ADP about the RHF3? If so, what did they say? Is it exactly the same... like a carbon copy of each scroll, the only difference being the ball bearing centre housing?

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:13 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

dikswift wrote:

Does the RHF3 come stock on any vehicle? Also do you need to modify any oil, or coolant lines? Does it bolt directly on to the exhaust manifold and the exhaust?

Dustin

The RHF3 is used on the Artic Cat T660 turbo snowmobile. You may want to ask your local dealer for a replacement part. Expect to pay a good $1400.00cdn for it though. It's not a perfect bolt on also. You would still need to fab your own downpipe and customize the i/c piping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:01 am 

Thx for all the info Jess, It is much apprecciated. I was looking for an upgrade on my turbo, but yesterday I totalled my Mk1 turbo running about 120mph. So needless to say the car is f#@!*d. I guess now I'm more in need of an MK1 turbo body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:54 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

Jardamuth wrote:
It's not a perfect bolt on also. You would still need to fab your own downpipe and customize the i/c piping.

Well, alright then. Will the RHB3 scrolls bolt to the RHF3 guts? Or is this one of those non-mix-and-match things?

I'm having a feeling, after digging up the site that I found a while ago (it's in another message that I posted a while ago) that there isn't much of a chance to do the scroll swap since the RHF cartridge looks more than a bit different.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:19 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Well, if you look at the compressor housing, you can see it won't fit the sprint. You would need to clock the housing. If you do so you won't be able to hold the wastegate actuator anymore. I never checked the turbine inlet up close and personal so I can't say it it's similar patern or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:49 pm 

The ADP guys said I could buy the RHF3 for $900cdn brand new. I cannot comment on whether or not the scroll would fit the old RHB32.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:46 am 
a.k.a Bum head

HiTempguy wrote:
The ADP guys said I could buy the RHF3 for $900cdn brand new.

Did they mention what a new RHB3 would run?

Quote:
I cannot comment on whether or not the scroll would fit the old RHB32.

I'm about 99% sure they won't after hearing what Jard had to say and from studying the pics some more last night. Blah.

All the modification that would need to be done would likely make little sense just to replace our RHB with something likely not much better.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:25 am 

Now this is where it gets sketchy. It was about 5 months ago now that I made the call, and I did not write anything down for permanent storage :duh: I am almost positive that they were very close to the same price. Now, the reason I think that would even be possible is the fact that as Jard said, the RHF3 is in use on the AC 660T's. Has any other manufacturer besides Suzuki used the RHB3 series since 91 for any type of application? From the looks of it no. Of course, you could just give ADP a call in Ontario and it wouldn't even be long distance :wink:

Ontario, Canada
119 Spy Court
Markham, ON L3R 5H6
Toll Free: 800-601-7888

Hey, look at THAT! Toll free number :lol: I didn't even notice that before

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:04 am 
a.k.a Bum head

I've sent ADP an email to see what they have to say on a few things, mostly how much a new RHB32 would cost as well as if we can get individual parts, such as the scrolls and the main centre unit, and how much they would cost.

The reason for the push on my end is that my RHB32 is in need of both a rebuild and probably a new exhaust scroll (you should see the cracks coming from the wastegate... probably beyond a simple welding repair), and I'm curious if it'd be more worth my time to get a whole new unit or to just bite the bullet and put something together that doesn't include the RHB32 at all.

Chris