TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:32 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: RHD conversion...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:12 am 

Ok, before you guys starting screaming i tried to do a search and couldn't find anything.

I was wondering how hard this conversion would be on a Swift. Has anyone ever done this? Is there a place where i coud find a RHD dash?

ccRacer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:44 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

You'd be tackling a project with almost as much labor as converting a chassis to AWD. It's not just the dash board, RHD vehicle have different firewalls to accomodate different placement of the steering column and pedals. You also have to relocate your brake master cylinder, clutch cable, install a different steering rack. You'd also have to relocate much of your dash wiring, and install the different comboswitches and other controls. Just to top things off, even the wipers are arranged differently on RHD vehicles. In my opinon, WAAAAAAY too much trouble just to make your car look JDM.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:25 am 

You'd be better off importing the whole car from the UK. Even if you got a front clip from Japan or somewhere it would be more work than it's worth to swap IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:03 am 

I was just curious about it... Thanks for the responses though.

ccRacer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:31 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

i really doubt the firewall is that different left-right, most auto makers who sell to both markets try to make things as simple for themselves as possible.
all the parts should be available from a swift in australia, doesn't need to be a gti, as you'd be needing the steering rack, dash/center console, maybe the pedal assembly. there would be a lot of work swapping bits around, little stuff, like electrical harnesses would all probably be the wrong length, even bits like the wires for your power mirrors.
can't you import personal vehicles through the military ? get a cultus awd to korea and bring it back with you ;)
we used to have lots of neat cars in courtenay bc because the guys stationed at CFB would bring them back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:55 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

n1tr0 wrote:
i really doubt the firewall is that different left-right...

When I ripped the dash, soundproofing and the heater fan out of my MK2, it became very obvious to me just how specialized the shape of the firewall, and the locations of holes and fittings were to determine that it as a LHD vehicle. Here's another thing that occured to me, you'd also need a RHD heater assembly because the steering column would forbid locating an airduct in the right side of the car. The cowl vent would have to be modified for the new air duct location. With the airduct in the leftside of the car, the wiring for the fuse panel and the ECU would have to be put somewhere else, most likely the opposite side of the vehicle. I wouldn't be surprised if RHD vehicles had entirely different wiring harnesses either. Oh here's more, you'd also have to relocate the hood release, as well as the lever/cable assembly for the hatch and the gas door. Trust me on this, I had good look at the bare firewall, there's nothing about it that would facilitate a RHD conversion.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:19 am 

What i was thinking is the same with HonDuhs. They make thier bodies universal. Its a lot of work but the holes and everything is there. All you have to do is just flip flop everything. I guess the Swift is an entireley different story.

I can't just import vehicles from Korea. I could only send a vehicle back to the states from certain countries. In Korea only higher ranking people are alowed to own a vehicle and unfortantily, i'm not one of those people. If i got stationed in Japan/Germany/Italy, i could ship a vehicle back.

ccRacer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:45 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

ccRacer wrote:
If i got stationed in Japan/Germany/Italy, i could ship a vehicle back.

well i guess you know where to try to get stationed now ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:30 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

ccRacer wrote:
...If i got stationed in Japan/Germany/Italy, i could ship a vehicle back.

ccRacer

"A" vehicle or "many" vehicles? :wink:

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:06 am 

The government will ship 1 vehicle back for me. There is nothing stopping me from shipping any more vehicles back on my own though. Sorry N1tr0, After Korea i'm going to FL. I'm tired of being over seas.

ccRacer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:33 am 
Village Idiot

If you got stationed in Europe you would still need to source a UK spec RHD car, bring it from the UK to where your stationed then ship it back from there!

Prab

Renault 25! no better dash then this!