TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:15 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:37 pm 

I just got a 91 gti most people would be happy with just owning a gti but im not.... I wanna do something different and I live in the states so I was thinking right hand drive! Is this even possible to convert a left hand drive to a right hand drive? Would it be super expensive? I wish i could just import one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:48 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

It's possible but would be way too much work and make your wallet thin as a leaf. Just think for a second how bad it would be to try and pass a truck when you can't see shit up front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:06 pm 

Aawwww, I dunno Jess.

RHD isn't too bad. I don't have any problems passing Trucks....

Although the cost of conversion... Sheesh... better to import a RHD half cut from Japan I expect.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:21 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

ellpee wrote:
Aawwww, I dunno Jess.

Aren't u driving on the left??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:39 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i used to drive an old US postal jeep that had right hand drive. it was nearly impossible to get around anyone without soiling my skivvies.

i just passed people in the ditch. :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:29 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

lots of jdm vehicles, like skylines, being imported into bc, you pretty much NEED the camera mod on the left mirror to see around traffic when trying to pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:58 pm 

Its funny, i always get aggervated when people tell me to do a search instead of just answering the question. But do a search, you'll find more information out. I asked about doing the same thing a while ago.

ccRacer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:09 pm 

Being a former British colony, we drive on the left, but because we are geographically closer to North America, we have a higher migration rate in that direction (to both Canada & the US) and we end up with folks shipping LHD vehicles back home.

Personally I have found that driving on the left in a LHD vehicle is simply a matter of maintaining a reasonable distance from the vehicle in front and judiciously positioning your vehicle so that you can see around the one in front.

Make no mistake, however, it can be a PITA, if you're in a small car, behind a larger vehicle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:15 pm 

Jardamuth wrote:
ellpee wrote:
Aawwww, I dunno Jess.

Aren't u driving on the left??

ONly when I am not passing cars....

CCRacer..... perhaps you should change your name to CCRacer-grl.. You'll get more info!!!

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:47 am 
Sad but True...

Nice swift! that looks clean.Remember LESS IS MORE! Keep it stock looking and put ALL the money into the engine.Life is fun when you have a car that is "No Show and All Go!!"

If my Swift was as fast as Tg or m's car I'd be famous...
My car is a trailer queen 'cause it's too slow to merge safely into traffic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:08 am 

ellpee wrote:
CCRacer..... perhaps you should change your name to CCRacer-grl.. You'll get more info!!!

I was about to take that the wrong way. Yes, there are a lot of leg humpers, so if i grew some tits and changed my name i'd get some more help with those searchable questions. Its cool though. No hard feelings.

ccRacer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:48 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

keywords: FAQ, RHD, LHD, JDM conversion, Cultus, Swift, US, USA, import, importation, law, laws, frontcut, front-cut, front cut, legal, illegal, DOT, EPA
It is technically possible, but much more work than it's worth. If you don't believe me, go strip out your carpet and dashboard, and look at how assymetical the firewall is to accomodate everything mounted to. I've gone into more detail about this before:
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=15109
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=13272

There is another method to do a RHD conversion: get a crooked bodyshop to stitch an imported front cut onto your existing chassis. This of course is clearly illegal, as front cuts are chopped in the first place to deter people from ever putting them on the road again. Besides, if there is some "creative interpretation" of the motor vehicle laws to get a RHD conversion done, you don't want to be attracting the wrong attention from law enforcement, which a RHD vehicle might certainly do.

If you want to legally import an entire vehicle into the US, you're gonna have to wait till the vehicle is 25 years old. The only exception to this in convincing the DOT that foreign versions have equal collision protection and the EPA that foreign versions have the same emmisions controls, both of which are extremely expensive processes to do. Motorex did both to legallize a number of Skylines, but they amortized their costs by selling Skylines for around $70,000.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:04 am 

I gues I will have to keep dreaming :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:53 pm 

Try to bite your right ear, then you will know if the conversion is possible....

hehe

-Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:40 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

I was just recently cleaning off some tar residue from the front area of my floorpan, from my observations of the panel seams, it appears that Suzuki used different metal panels for the LHD/RHD firewalls, that were then welded them to a common unibody shell. It might be possible to attempt this conversion by swapping firewalls, but considering the signifigant structural importance of the firewall, and the fact that it carries the vehicle's VIN number, I wouldn't bother to attempt it.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:00 pm 

i'd just import something like someone said from Japan - or even a pos barina or the like from Australia. There are plenty of gt lookalikes here that people lay their claim to fame on - built from the 3 cyl versions here in aussie land, and they are cheap....you could probably buy a complete 3 cyl mk2/3 for less than a $800us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:35 am 

but you have to conicder shipping and etc. cause i'd really like to have a RHD but i just don't think its worth it. plus i have some body work already done to my swift and etc. Oh, well.

ccRacer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:38 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

suzk91gt wrote:
i'd just import something like someone said from Japan - or even a pos barina or the like from Australia. There are plenty of gt lookalikes here that people lay their claim to fame on - built from the 3 cyl versions here in aussie land, and they are cheap....you could probably buy a complete 3 cyl mk2/3 for less than a $800us.

A lot of this depends on the destination country's import laws. Over here it's impossible to transfer a Swift on either side of the border due to seatbelt issues. Canadians can import 15 year old vehicles from other countries, but Americans have to wait till a vehicle is at least 25 years old.

It's a shorter distance between Vancouver and Japan than it is between Vancouver and Australia, so I'm sure it's cheaper to freight vehicles from Japan instead.

maybe a picture Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:36 am 

How many of you guys will do this I don't think its possible now?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:37 pm 
@ssclown

You can do it all you need are some lag bolts a bike sprocket a chain and some extra foot peddles I will look for the Pics

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:02 am 

A skatrgrl_27....I have been wanting to do a conversion like that since I worked for VW back in the 70's and I saw that it was possible on the old bugs.
I have checked into it and it is a very expensive idea.....you have to change the steering rack, instrument panel and harness, change the master cylinder and brake lines and much more. I checked out redline.com (an Australian Swift website). What stopped me was that; on the right-hand drive cars...the master cylinder is in back of where the intake manifold is. That looks like too much of a PITA to even want to do.

I do like the idea though. I'm still thinking of finding an old VW bug and converting it. I just don't know how to change the dash since it is steel other than making my own for it.

Flea