TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:47 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:20 pm 

Hi i have a 91 chevy sprint turbo and last winter i went without heat.. it wasnt fun. I tried flushing it out with drano and clr and it didnt work. i have a 92 metro parts car that i removed the heater box from that was a big pain to do. I did some searching and found this

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php? ... eater+core

this is a good thread but my question is: are there any other shortcuts that anyone has for me to make the job a little easier? One thing i didnt understand was something that CJDave said "but it'll come out without removing the crossmember. I didn't have the option to remove since the screws on the passenger's side were locked in with corrosion. Luckily I could unscrew the driver's side and budge the crossmember enough to squeak everything by." the heater core pipes stick into the firewall and they are about 6inches long approximately. will you be able to pull the heater box back 6-7 inches say and still have enough room to get it out from under the dash which isnt removed? any help would be very much appreciated.
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:56 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

You absolutely do need to remove the dash, the good news is that MK2 dashes come out pretty easy. The first time I ever tried to remove a MK2 dash, I had it out in 10 minutes. The cross brace needs to come out too. If the screws are rusted on, squirt 'em with some liquid wrench, then hit 'em with an impact gun.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:20 am 

thank you very much for your reply lihtan, im happy to hear that my dash comes out a little easier than the 92 metro parts car dash because that was a pain. ill have to make it a weekend project before the snow flies lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:36 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

The MK2 dash comes out easier because doesn't have those annoying vertical braces to remove like the MK3 does. When I helped my buddy install his heater core, it took the two us probably 45 minutes to get the dash off the MK3 parts car at the wrecking yard.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:27 pm 

i didnt know about those vertical braces when i was taking out the dash in the 92, i was reading my manual for my car and mine doesnt have them. so once i had everything unscrewed i was trying to pull the dash out but it didnt want to come out lol. i finally noticed the braces by laying upside down and looking underneath the dash. luckily the screws weren't on tight because there isnt much room to work with under there.