TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:44 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 95 and up g13b head?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:15 pm 

Well i noticed that the water inlet on my motor is part of the head. How would i put say, a tracker 1.6 or a samurai 1.3 head on if the water inlet is part of the intake? Do i have to use an older intake and a carb?

Mike

Going back to my roots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:02 pm 
Mama Said Knock You Out!
Mama Said Knock You Out!

:huh: Are you talking about the throttle body pre-heater that goes into the intake manifold on a G13B sohc? Coolant only runs through the manifold, and that's it. The head gets it's coolant from flow in the engine block. If you put a samurai or tracker head on, they have the same throttle body pre-heater pipes as yours does. It keeps the intake hot to prevent throttle body icing in the winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:42 pm 

Hold on, The thing that bolts to the head under the distributor that holds the thermostat. I know my samurai didn't have one of those. What intake would i use? pre95? Then if thats the case, What about the fuel injection?

AHHHH :lol:

Going back to my roots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:41 am 

Been reading through old posts in this section and saw this was unresolved. Wanted to provide some additional info for anyone that might be searching for this information at some point in the future.

The following information pertains to the 1.3L 8v SOHC engines available in the U.S.

The pre-95 vs. 95+ head/intake situation is a problem that I have experienced myself.

Basically on the pre-95 heads the coolant system is integrated into the intake manifold, with the thermostat being mounted near the TB on the driver's side.

Starting in 95 the intake and heads were designed differently. In addition to hydraulic lifters replacing the valve lash screws, you will also notice that the cooling system has changed a bit. On the 95+ heads the coolant system is no longer routed through the intake manifold and the thermostat is repositioned to mount on the distributor plate.

You can see the difference on the distributor end of the head in the following picture:

The head on the left is from a '94 Swift and the head on the right is from a '95 Metro. As you can see the pre-95 head (Left) has a more or less triangular mounting for the distributor. The 95+ head incorporates the thermostat onto the distributor plate. The bolts for the pre-95 distributor line up and you will be able to bolt on the pre-95 distributor plate on the 95+ head, but you will have huge gaps where coolant will dump out.

The intake manifold gaskets between the two head's are different as well, and you can check out the pics in my album.

This is a very tricky problem because the 95+ cars use a different TB than the pre-95 cars. The TB's won't swap over and the hardware/sensors for each is different. I didn't attempt to hook up the 95+ intake manifold's electronics so I don't know if the pre-95 ECU will run the 95+ system.

What does this all boil down to?

If you have a pre-95 car and want to put a 95+ head on it you are left with the following options:

1) Swap over the entire Intake manifold and distributor plate from the 95+, this may require changing out the harness/ECU.

2) Sell the 95+ head and buy a pre-95 head. (Or have Superfly work a head for you and send the 95+ as a core :twisted: )

3) Use the 95+ head and distributor plate with the pre-95 intake manifold. Cut off the extra material from the the distributor plate so that you will have the clearance you need to fit the pre-95 intake onto the 95+ head, then use aluminum epoxy/JB Weld/actually weld a plate/etc. to block off the coolant part of the distributor/thermostat plate.

I chose option number 3. I took a sawzall to the plate and use some aluminum epoxy to patch up the hole. I also needed to build my own gasket b/c I couldnt find one available for the 95+ heads at my local parts suppliers. I'll actually see about snapping a few pics here in the next few days and post them so folks have a better idea of my jimmy-rigged setup. Word of caution though, after a few months of driving I ended up revving the piss outta the poor old 250k mile engine and killed it... coolant was steaming out the aluminum epoxy.

Anyways, just wanted to clear some things up for folks that experience this themselves. I'm sure I forgot about something so feel free to ask questions if you have them or you come accross this at some point in the future.

Bob