TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:25 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:41 am 

I read somewhere on here that you guys were wondering about the newer, longer, control arms. I have late model front arms on my 93, but there are a few differences. Mine is not done correctly. The bolts that hold the 95+ control arm (not stamped part, but cast part with nut) to the body are larger in diameter. These fit on a 94 and earlier, but are sloppy, and change camber. So you say, then change the two bolt cast part, right? Wrong. The diameter of the stud that goes through the bushing is larger, too on the 95+ arm. So,,,,,,, the PROPER way to install the longer arms would be to buy new 95+ arms and install the 94 and earlier bushings into the late model arms, using your original cast part. Safe and secure, BUT, then you have to deal with your camber. It's not that much different, maybe even positively affecting handling, while wearing tires funny, but if you want stock settings, you'll have to get the camber kit (bolts) to change the spindle to strut angle. Stock CV shafts work. All in all, it's alot of hassle for an extra 1/2 inch (or about 1 centimeter) of track width.

I haven't done the rears, but everything must be swapped there, too, since it too is wider. Trailing arm, control arm, etc. I imagine that they changed the mount diameter as well, since they did on the front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:15 pm 

what about when using the 95+ struts with the 95+ arms? would it still have problems? the reason i ask is because i was going to use those when i lift my 90 metro. the springs/struts will lift it but i was going to use the arms to help fix the camber. i guess i'll hafta build my own arms F/R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:15 am 

Thanks, I'm interested in using the longer arms. What if you used metal bushings or sleeves in the cast part to take up the space in the larger bolt holes?

1991 Swift - Parts car (gone)
1990 Swift - Parts car
1997 Metro - Parts car (gone)
1993 Metro - Parts car
1989 Swift GTi - Parts car
1998 Metro - Parts car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:54 am 

I got my arms from the wrecker, because my balljoints were bad. I just grabbed the whole thing, not knowing any different. Trial and error, guys. If you use the 95+cast part too, you could make some kind of sleeve to take up the slack. It's only like an 1/8th of an inch total, but it's definitly enough to change camber. I pulled mine as far away from the car as they would go, then tightened them. Not very professional, or even safe probably. If you want to play, get a set and try different sleeves until you find something that fits. The rubber bushing on the rearmost portion is identical.

Post subject: control arm length
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:14 am 

sorry to bring up an old thread - but i found my answer using the search feature. :)

i just changed the l/f control arm on my sisters '98 swift by using parts originally bought for a '89 Sprint. I've had a really hard time getting a control arm for this thing . . everyone says they are back ordred. Anyways i called my buddy with the Sprint and he gave me his. it looked the exact same and installed fine but obviously with being shorter (as I just read) it thru off the alignment. hopefully an alignment tomorrow will bring it back where it should be. i guess i now know why all parts people say they are different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:21 am 

I just changed the control arms on my 99 Firefly, and found out about the shorter older style ones. I was thinking that when you lower your car, you are bringing the tops of the wheels together.
So if you used shorter control arms, wouldn't you then bring the bottom in as well? You could tune your castor with compressed spring height, getting it just right. Wouldn't this balance out, or am I missing something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:56 pm 

I ended up sourcing the proper arm. changed it last night and what do you know - straight wheel! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:30 pm 

Amazing isn't it? I was always steering left, as it pulled right. Now it is like a porche!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:30 pm 

I have found out the hard way that the newer arms are longer.

I order an arm for the PS of a 94 and when it came in it was obviously not the right part. The rear mount was way different using one large bolt that went thru a round rubber mount. The guy said the #s on the part were what they should be for a 94' so he thought a 95' part was what I needed. I looked at it and agreed that it looked right. I thought the camber looked off when I put it on but figured it was from the old collision that tweaked the front end. The toe was way off too, of course. I got the toe adjusted and have been driving it for over 5 months. Now my DS arm needs replaced due to a bad ball joint and I researched it more. I got under there and I measured about a half inch difference in the swing arm lengths between the stock one and the 95' one. My tire is way worn too from the camber.

My question is; should I replace the 5 month old one with the correct 94' part, or can I adjust for the camber difference?

I will pobably have a tough time returning the 5 month old arm :oops: .

Can the camber be adjusted that much just using slop in the mounting bolts for the arm and strut?

It looks like I can get a pair for a 94' at just over $100 shipped on ebay.

90 day ave, 69.23 U.S. mpg
longest range on 1 tank, 790 miles
(click below to see more info on my car, including a gas log)
http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/272

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:40 pm 

I've heard of those eccentric bolts for camber adjustments. A few questions for those using them.

Which mounting point uses them? Is it the strut to knuckle mount? Do you only need one eccentric bolt per side?

Could these allow me the adjustment I need to keep from having to replace my PS arm agian (referencing post above)?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:48 pm 

Wow! A blast from the past. ;o)

I would recommend you get the correct steering components on your front end. Two things you don't want to mess with are steering, and wheels. It will eventually bite you in the a$$!

You could try selling the 95 part on Craigslist or something if the ball is still good. Someone out there is driving after curbing their car.

Up here is costs about $400-$580 per side for that part new, and about $80 for a good used one. You never know what you are getting from the wrecker.

Good luck with that.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:33 pm 

Instead of 500$ try this.
95 and up is approx same price.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-Control-Arm-2-O-I- ... dZViewItem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:31 pm 

I have been getting cheap parts from 'Geo Jim' in Surrey. He parts out ICBC wrecks. He is very fair, and great to deal with. He sold me a pair of tight used control arms for $140.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:38 am 

The 95' arm seems like new still when I inspected it over the weekend. Nice and tight. I will probably get a new pair of 94' ones and try selling the good used 95' one.