TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:10 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ECM Keeps Blowing
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:36 am 

Hi Everyone:
I own a 1989 GTi Suzuki Swift. Specs: DOHC 1.3, (4 Cyl.) Fuel Injection, Electronic Ignition, Automatic (I know, automatic sucks). Great car! Cheap on gas – basically rebuilt/replaced several engine components. Very easy car to work on.

Problem as of late: Dreaded electrical. Car crapped out one very wet night. Discovered no spark – process of elimination – usual stuff: Ignition (and components), distributor cap (entire piece), etc. ……. Long and short – buddy suggested replacing the ECM (Electronic Control Module – THE BRAIN) – got one at the wreckers $65 (wasn’t easy to find (AT FED 33920-64B). Got spark - Car worked for one month.

Okay, maybe a bad ECM at the wreckers. Finally found and bought my second used ECM (tough time again). Same thing – car conked out 3 weeks later. I think there are no more ECM’s available in my country (Canada) – I bought them all (ha! ha!)

Checked out original ECM, no indication of noticeable burnt resistors. Checked out first unit purchased at wreckers, same thing – nothing noticeable.

Totally depressed and baffled as to what my next steps are. I removed the battery cables for ½ hour to reset the ECM unit (Is this right?). If the reset does not work – what are my next steps? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:28 pm 
banned

another bolton boy :) same avatar too :? hehe just wanted to say hi basically :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:57 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

It sounds like you have a wiring problems somewhere. Check the MAF wiring where it crosses by the alternator belt. Alternator belts have been known to chew through the MAF harness, short it out and kill the ECU.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:42 pm 
abby normal

Here is something similar...

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php? ... ng+harness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:54 pm 

You should go back to the wreckers and get the AT ecu wiring harness. Or better yet, get both harness from the cars you got the used ecu.

I'm amazed you even got your hands on 2 of these AT ecu's. :shock:

And as Lithan said, check your MAF and the wire that goes to it.

Also check for all your grounds.

Good luck.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:39 pm 

Definitley sounds like a harness issue with the main engine harness. WIthout having witnessed the problem personally I cannot say 100%, but I would check the harness over to see if wires are exposed and check the harness at the igniter. If all checks out it may not be a bad investment to get a new harness.

I have a wire harness for a 3cyl, but nothing for a 4 banger. If your local I can go over the harness with you and tell you what your next step should be.