TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:06 pm 

Hello, everyone. This is my very first post here, and so far with everyone's advice and experienced I just changed both control arms on my 92 swift. I should also mention I never done anything more difficult than changing my oil before!! Thanks again. Now for the rear struts. I've found out on this site how to do it but I've hit a snag. The bolt that goes through the knuckle to hold the bottom of the strut is stuck. I've tried everything I've seen here, WD40, heat, hammer, etc. The only thing I've accomplished is that the head of the bolt is now a little rounder. I discover that if I removed the bolt that holds the brake line bracket on, I can access the back of the bolt. I was thinking of getting a small drill bit and drilling out the bolt. Is this advisable, or are there any other suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:52 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

My car was doing the exact same thing, but I decide to torque the bolt back in and abort the removal before I severely rounded the bolt.

Here's what I'd do:
• go to the wrecking yard and pull a spare bolt off a parts car (not all of them are hard to remove)
• take a torch and heat the stuck bolt red hot
• wait for the bolt to cool
• repeat heating the bolt and letting it cool a few more times
• the bolt should now be much easier to remove
• remove the bolt and discard it (the heating and cooling will have completely ruined any heat treating or hardening it had)
• service your shocks
• install using the new bolt from the wrecking yard, this time using anti-seize on the threads (torque specs are 36.5 - 50.5 ft lbs)

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:00 am 

I've tried heating it, but I'll try it again. Would you not recomend drilling it out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:43 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Bugz wrote:
I've tried heating it, but I'll try it again. Would you not recomend drilling it out?

No, because you'll be stuck with a knuckle that, at the very least, will need to have a tap chased through it to clear out the threads. Worst case is that the drilling procedure ruins the "base" metal of the knuckle and you have to replace the whole darn thing. Try and get the bolt out by conventional methods, first. Also, get yourself a can of PB Blaster, it's much better than WD40...

2006 Suzuki DR-Z400SM - SuperMoto
2009 Cannondale Rize
I rarely visit TeamSwift anymore, so please email me if you have a question. On average I'm only checking my PM's here once a month. "roy (at) forcefed4 (dot) com"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:39 pm 

Thanks, I'll keep trying :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:13 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

two words...

impact gun

and definately try a catalyst based penetrating lube like PB blaster, wd-40 is pretty weak crap.