TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:54 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:32 am 

I emailed Rospen and checked out Whiteline...with no luck so far.
I have the stock worn out rubber bushings on the back of my car...I guess I figured since the rear end of the swift is not a whole lot more then dragging a trailer around :-P , it wasnt important.

Well, with the welded diff, I actually get a little more oversteer then needed. I have a stock rear swaybar too :wink:

I can only get around 1 degree negative camber on the rears. I want to increase this and see what happens.

Even if there is a way to increase rear camber without poly bushings, I will still look, I'm retarded buy the rear poly's from Rospen, just to tighten things up.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:58 pm 
Suzuki Elder

if i'm not mistaken, the only way to change the rear camber is to make a change in the spring length. the toe control rods make the knuckles "squirm" inside their bushings. changing the position of the hole in the big "D" bushing at the front of the control arm would only change toe and the only bushing that could affect camber is such a small diameter that there's no room to offset the hole.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:42 pm 

ah, okay,

I guess that is how I got 1 degree negative, as the car is lowered in the rear. I can raise and lower the rear as needed, so maybe once I get my new tires in 205/55-14 I will see how low it will go without rubbing, and call it a day...
although, you have to be a little careful, I think with the control arms...as you dont want the arms pointing down towards the middle of the car, as this does something with the geometry that you supposedly dont want.

Or maybe that is just with the front arms, causes bump steer or something...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:00 pm 

Noltec WILL make an offset bushing for the car.

drop me a PM with details what you require.

And the control arm geometry you mention is to do with bump steer. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:39 pm 

SCCA, I can forward you some e-mails from Whiteline pertaining to all of the bushings they offer for our cars, including prices from about a year ago.

You have a girlfriend? :shock:

HiTemp Inc. ....... taking over the world one Sprint Turbo and Swift GTi at a time.

Chassis Flex Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:03 pm 

get mk4-5 northamerican rear control arm...
with gti rear knuckles you get between -2.0 and -3 degres :wink:
don't forget to re-adjust your rear toe

td05h-16g @ 18 psi
SRP forged civic piston
suprf1y's 200-335i 210-240e camshaft
1.6 gearbox with swift sport 2007 gear ratios
cusco 1way LSD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:41 pm 
Suzuki Elder

tekkie gti wrote:
Noltec WILL make an offset bushing for the car.

drop me a PM with details what you require.

And the control arm geometry you mention is to do with bump steer. ;)

it's hard to get "bump steer" on the rear end.

there are poly bushing sets available for the rear end but the bushing that would need to have it's hole off center to affect camber is too small to allow enough room to offset the hole. i have not seen a bushing for the rear that would increase negative camber.

i haven't tried mk4/5 rear control arms. if the later model rear control arms are longer (which would increase track on the rear axle) that would indeed cause a negative camber. it might also move the wheels and tires out increasing the possibility of tire contact with the fender. another thing is that the tunnel for the rear strut is pretty tight. much change in the position of the rear knuckle, in or out, might cause the strut to drag on the walls of the strut tower tunnel.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:00 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Matt,

Have you slotted the upper strut mounts to allow for more camber?

--Roy

2006 Suzuki DR-Z400SM - SuperMoto
2009 Cannondale Rize
I rarely visit TeamSwift anymore, so please email me if you have a question. On average I'm only checking my PM's here once a month. "roy (at) forcefed4 (dot) com"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:58 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:

it's hard to get "bump steer" on the rear end.

indeed. :) thinking front end.
Would the pivot point in relation to the outside wheel have any bearing on how the tyres perform. Surely you are reducing the track by having the control arms pointing upwards instead of level ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:20 pm 

roy,
Do you mean slot, like a camber plate, at the top of the rear shock?
This wont do me any good will it?

Noltec? They are a reputable company?
I will look them up and see what they say...

thanks,
matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:30 pm 
Suzuki Elder

Roy Dean wrote:
Matt,

Have you slotted the upper strut mounts to allow for more camber?

--Roy

have you, roy? (i went back after reading my post to include this, too: not a smartass question or a slam so please don't take it that way. i've never seen it done on the back of a swift but that's not to say you racers don't.)

when i measured the clearance in the strut tower tunnel for the rear end there wasn't enough room to clear the strut mount's frame or the strut boot with slots that allowed the mount to move toward the car's centerline.

i've seen cars that had the inner fender part of the tunnel chopped out to make room for coilovers. i decided against chopping up the chassis to get more negative camber on the back wheels. lowering springs induced enough camber for me with the 15" wheels and 195 rubber.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:38 pm 
Teamswift Racer

You won't get much camber by slotting the top, I'm not sure about your rules SCCA but the best way is to slot the bottom, actually it's better to weld some small tags onto the lower arm where the hub bolts up and redrill the holes further out, it will give slightly more track and as much camber as you want, you will need longer control rods though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:09 am 
Teamswift Racer

Wow, so many comments....

:lol:

Have I personally slotted my strut towers? No. Because I haven't felt the need for that much camber in the rear. Can it be done? YES, DEFINATELY. The junker racecar that I bought (the shell of which is now cut up into about 75 pieces) had it's rear shock towers slotted. The bolt holes were cut into slots, and the opening for the strut top was notched to allow the entire strut to rock inboard. Everything fit just fine, including the stock "boot" (not really a boot, more like a cover). I did a rough measurement VS. my swift, and the junker had over 1° more negative camber than my car.

So in short:

T3 - Yes, it can be done.
Dattman - 1° is a lot more than "not much"... and totally worth the $0 and maybe 1/2 hour of work, if you're searching for more camber.
Matt - Yes, it's legal and WILL help you, if more negative camber is what you desire.

Also Matt, I have the noltec plates on my front struts. They work, but are a pretty lame design, and difficult to adjust accurately.

2006 Suzuki DR-Z400SM - SuperMoto
2009 Cannondale Rize
I rarely visit TeamSwift anymore, so please email me if you have a question. On average I'm only checking my PM's here once a month. "roy (at) forcefed4 (dot) com"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:42 pm 

great!
sounds like an easy mod.
Another thing to do over the winter :lol: