TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: driveshafts
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:54 pm 

Need to know if theres any difference between the splines on the driveshafts of a mk1 and a mk2/3? Are the splines different inside(gearbox side) and outside(wheel end)?Also are the hubs on the mk1 and the mk2/3 different(sizes and specs)? Have got a mk1 gearbox on a mk2 car/engine and need shafts to fit.
Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:54 pm 
Main twit

heres the low down...

all 3 cylinder shafts be it mk1,2,3 are the same... inside tranny and outside on hub.

GT shafts mk1,2,3 are the same inside tranny as the 3 cylinders but the outter spline at the hub only fits the GT brakes.

Mk1 3cyl - 185whp/150ftlbs - 1/4mile 13.97@103mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:07 am 
Teamswift Racer

I'll add to that, the mk1 non gti has the smallest size outer cvs, the mk1 gti and mk2/3 non gti outer cv's are slightly bigger but the mk2 non gti shafts are slightly longer (might be 15mm, cant remember) than a mk1 gti shaft and the seal on the back of the hub is different than mk1gti hub.

The mk2/3 gti and 1600 hubs have the biggest outer cv's but the 1600 shafts also have a bigger inner cv and different spline into the gearbox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:36 pm 

Hi,

Mk1 Gti has 1 less splines than mk2.
Are you fitting Gti engine into Mini in UK!?
I have made mk2 driveshaft with mini hub end and it will fit P/S but not driver side.
If you want see it, and live close to Durham let me know.
I can show you my '68 Mini with Gti engine in progress(or luck of...)

Stop laughing Dattman!

Cheers
Atchi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:18 am 
Teamswift Racer

miniswift wrote:
Hi,
Mk1 Gti has 1 less splines than mk2.
Atchi

A mk1 gti and mk2 SOHC are the same size, the mk2gti does indeed have one more spline and a bigger OD, I know this as I fitted a mk1gti cv onto a mk2 sohc shaft and fitted into a mk2 sohc hub only to find the seal was different.

Atchi I'm not laughing now that I know I could of used mk2 sohc shafts on my mini project, pity I threw them out :thwack:

Post subject: Re: driveshafts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:47 pm 

I have a 1988 chevy sprint, and I am using both driveshafts out of a 1994 geo metro. I had to remove the main grease seal on the steering knuckles but since the knuckles have two wheel bearings each, and the bearing's grease seal is facing out, it should be o.k. Good to know when you are short on cash and the junk yard has a nice mk2 metro with good axles.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:55 pm 

G10master wrote:
I have a 1988 chevy sprint, and I am using both driveshafts out of a 1994 geo metro. I had to remove the main grease seal on the steering knuckles but since the knuckles have two wheel bearings each, and the bearing's grease seal is facing out, it should be o.k. Good to know when you are short on cash and the junk yard has a nice mk2 metro with good axles.

'94 is a Mk3, but still are the same.

1988 Chevrolet Sprint (Forsa clone) 3Tech cam and underdrive pulley, MSD 8mm wireset, shaved head, Weber 32/36 carb, Honda short shifter, KYB Gr2 suspension, Summit tach and gauges, Pilot steering wheel, NEW! Summit Multi-spark CDI
Project Page
1993 Geo Metro Only mods so far are a Honda short shifter, Glowshift tach and a 3a Racing ricer muffler (freebie)
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:22 pm 

is the manual transmission from 93 gti swappable to 96 swift with auto trans? thanks, ive been searching but to no avail, i cant find any detailed info about this and specific parts im gonna need if im going on this route....