TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:15 am 

Ok, I've been looking for a GT for quite some time, but have found them to be hard to come across. But I did finally find one in my area, and I went to take a look today.
It's an '89, 134xxx km's, and some mods (cams, full exhaust, springs, and realy nice rims with new rubber).
The only problem i can see is the condition of the body. It's got some dents in several places, enough to notice for sure, and the front bumper needs to be replaced because he rear-ended some guy.
And he's got more than 3 grand in receipts over the last year or so.

He wants $2500, but says he's flexible.

What do you think?

Post subject: swift...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:24 am 
A legend in his own mind

well, here's what I'd consider:

considering the car has been modded, it's been driven hard...(please everyone DON'T bother telling me there's no relationship between mods and driving hard...please!)
that's not to say that it's been abused, just that you'll have to make sure that the engine is in healthy shape even though it only has 135k

if everything checks out fine mechanically including tranny shifts smooth and fine then I would not worry about DENTS.

RUST is your enemy....

if the car has next to no rust, then make sure that it can be repaired after the wreck and talk him down since the car will need some money to get it back to presentable shape.

besides that, based on your description, sounds as though it's workable...

TGstring

LNLC Founding Member

Certified to advise if this thread is GAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:41 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

The mileage is really low for a car of that age, and the price isn't bad considering the parts. I ended picking up a second Swift last month it was a 1990 with 155,000 kms but its body was also in rough shape. Mine also had some front end damage. The corner light was pulverized and the beam in the bumper is bent, but it doesn't appear to have compromised the structure of the vehicle. My vehicle also came with a number of dents as well. At the time it looked like something a little bondo and a repaint would fix, but as I started ripping out the interior, I started seeing shitloads of rust on the floorpan.
Take a real good look for rust, especially on the underside, wheelwells, etc. Rust will show up in the interior from water leaking in from damaged seals. Suspect trouble if you see a piece torn out of a door, window or hatch seal. A mold or mildue smell is a dead giveaway of water leakage. Go into the rear hatch, pull up the carpet, and look at the spare tire well, and the surrounding metal. Most people won't let you, but if you can, show up with a panel puller and some other tools and ask if you can look at the sheet metal behind the interior pieces. If you can peak at the frame, things like rust, sitting water & repaired collision damage will all be visible. Also look real close at how the body panels fit, panel gaps and so on. If the collision damage is severe enough, it will disrupt the positioning of adjacent panels.

I guess the choice comes down to whether you want to live with the body or not. You can pick it up now and when a Sprint or Metro with a pristine body shows up, you can move all the parts over later. You'll have to see if the seller is willing to deeply discount the price to reflect the body work being regarded as disposible. The bodywork can always be fixed, but if you're not going to do it yourself, you'll have to convince the seller to pay you to take the car off his hands!

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:42 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

is this the one i gave you the number for ?
i thought he was asking only about $1500 for it .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:05 pm 

n1tr0 wrote:
is this the one i gave you the number for ?
i thought he was asking only about $1500 for it .

It's the white one in Vic (Dave). He said 2500. If it was 15 i wouldnt give a second thought. I guess I'll go drive it and checkfor rust, and see what happens.

edit: would you be able to come take a look with me? you'd probably know what to look for better than i do. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:42 pm 

Hey Oversight, welcome aboard! I'm 40km north of you. I have found Victoria cars in general to be very good in terms of rust. I am under the impression that the roads there don't get salted as much as just about everywhere else in Canada. I'd be glad to have a look at it if you like - just let me know. I can help you determine the car's condition.

Don