TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:08 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:23 pm 

Hi,
I have to replace the timing belt on my 91 GT (it has about 110K miles on it) and I am looking for detailed instructions - can anyone help?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:15 pm 

Hey welcome to the board. I recognize you from ebay (hint: shipping USPS to WA). I've done this job four times but don't have the time at work to give you detailed instructions right now. I'll be back tonight.

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:21 pm 

Hi Don,

thanks - looking forward to hearing from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:51 pm 

1) remove the air intake hose, AFM, etc

2) remove plastic fender apron splash guard on pass. side underneath

3) loosen alternator mounting bolts, swing alternator forward to loosen alternator/water pump belt and remove belt and water pump pulley. If the alternator is noisy get some brushes for it, remove the alternator altogether and replace the brushes. It's really easy to do on the Nippon Denso alternators.

4) decide whether you want to lower the engine to clear the frame enough to remove the harmonic dampening crank pulley without removing the crank timing pulley bolt (the bolt sticks out and the pulley will not clear it unless you either remove the bolt or lower the engine) If you don't want to lower the engine then you must jam a slot screwdriver into the slot in the bottom of the bell housing to lock the flywheel (and the crank) then, with a 17mm socket, loosen the center crankshaft bolt and remove it. Off comes the pulley then.

5) remove the upper and lower timing belt covers and consider replacing the water pump. It's a bummer when the water pump fails because the timing belt has to be removed for its replacement.

6) rotate engine using socket or wrench on crank pulley bolt until the marks on the cam pulleys are at 12:00

7) remove tensioner and tensioner plate and remove the belt. Make a note of how the tensioner looks when it is installed because it might not be obvious when it comes to putting it back on

Installation is the reverse of removal. When installing the new belt, position the cam pulleys at 12:00 so the "I" and "E" markings on the intake and exhaust cam pulleys line up with the notches on the valve cover. When you're satisfied, rotate the engine through two complete revolutions then get it to TDC and inspect the relationship between the pulleys. If it's good then tighten the tensioner bolts and put everything back together. The factory service manual has nice diagrams for this sort of work.

I hope I haven't missed anything. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:53 pm 

Oh yeah, and this would be a great time to install an underdrive pulley if you've wanted one. And if you get the one without the air con pulley, it will clear the crank bolt for future timing belt removal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:29 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

:thumb2:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:36 am 

hi just wondering about the torque setting on the timing belt what is the setting if any one can help me with that