TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Timing belt Q's
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:49 pm 

First easy question, If a timing belt breaks does the engine self-destruct? Some engines crash valves and some you can just replace the belt and drive away. Second easy question, What is the recommended interval for belt changing? My one owner '91 GT with 75K on it is starting to make me nervous. (Still has the original belt). Help is appreciated, Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:43 pm 
Make love, not moderators

#1.. The engine is an interference engine.. Some people get lucky and don't bend their valves.

#2. For the cost of the belt compared to replacing the engine why even ask the question. It is long overdue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:31 pm 

replacement interval = 60K miles or 96K KM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:35 pm 
Who says it's long overdue?? The recomended change is at 100K.

BTW: When buying a new timing belt ALWAYS buy a genuine suzuki belt, they are good for at least 100K. The aftermarket belts however are crap and I wouldn't trust em' after 60K.

If you break your belt, I would say you have a 1 in 5 chance of coming out ok. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:39 pm 
Sorry my mistake, I thought he was Canadian. I have known guys that have gone as far as 170,000 kms with no probs on factory belt tho'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:26 pm 

I just replaced my timing belt last weekend, it had 109K miles on the original belt and I am really glad I did - the belt had really deep (not just surface) cracks on both the outside and the inside.
If you are worried go for it, it's well worth the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:33 pm 

How'd it go? Did you remove the crank pulley bolt or did you lower the engine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:19 pm 

:shock: I have 278.000 kms on my 93 suzuki swift and I just blew the timing belt. I was driving about 30km hour when it happened. I pulled the head off to find that half of the vavles were damaged. I suggest you change your timing belt as often as you can

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:24 pm 
smart@ss

Gary Barclay wrote:
:shock: I have 278.000 kms on my 93 suzuki swift and I just blew the timing belt. I was driving about 30km hour when it happened. I pulled the head off to find that half of the vavles were damaged. I suggest you change your timing belt as often as you can

yea that's what usually happens, bent valves. But there's no need to change it as often as you can, 60k miles is the mark you should go by. T-belt costs $65-$85 and even if you have to pay a mechanic $50 to change it, it still comes out cheaper than cylinder head rebuilt.

http://sierraclub.com/exxposeexxon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:49 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

first timing belt change on the swift with no experience was 1hr .. 2nd time swapping it was a little under 30minutes ...
and timing belts can be anywhere from $40cdn (parts store) to $75cdn (suzuki oem) ..
i also installed an underdrive while i was doing it .. you have to take the pulley off anyways ..
i undid the one engine mount and lowered/tilted the engine a couple inches when i did it .. just make sure you get the timing marks all in the right spot .. double/triple check ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:03 am 

Bosco,
I ended up lowering the engine - it is so easy, just put a car jack under it and let it down a few inches on that side. took a long time to put back together because I repainted all the alternator brackets and all pullies and did some major cleaning on the timing belt cover
thanks for the instructions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:13 am 

yeah change your belt before it breaks.....
my private mechanic i go through said its either a 150$ job total before or a 1000$ job when it breaks and fooks everything over......

also does a new belt add any HP or tq or anything?
or just a new belt Latee da...... :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:25 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

ya, a new belt is worth at least 10hp if your old one is on it's last legs ... see when the belts get old they stretch & then your cams get out of sync, just make sure you get the type-R belt, it'll advance your cams a bit for more power.
cheers :lol:

but your mechanic is correct, very cheap to change now, very expensive if it breaks, the dohc engine is an "interference engine" and when the belt breaks, the valves bash into the pistons, if you're lucky, you'll only bend the valves & possibly have to replace the whole head .. you may also damage the pistons & require the block to be rebuilt as well .. etc...

Last edited by n1tr0 on Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:25 pm 

Is this the same case with the 3 cylinder? My timing belt just blew on me while driving and I'm guessing the engine is damaged from the belt's absence while the car was coasting to a stop, IN GEAR. Also, how expensive would the repair be if ONLY the valves were damaged?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:17 am 
abby normal

Geometroman wrote:
Is this the same case with the 3 cylinder? My timing belt just blew on me while driving and I'm guessing the engine is damaged from the belt's absence while the car was coasting to a stop, IN GEAR. Also, how expensive would the repair be if ONLY the valves were damaged?

The thread you posted in is 3 years old and concerns the 4 cyl dohc engine.

Here is a thread found in the FAQ section covering the G10 3 cylinder. :)

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?p=228325