TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:31 am 

This may have been asked so apologies if I haven't gone back far enough, but are there any problem areas to look out for when buying???
I'm figuring CV's and clutch and general wear/tear, but are there any areas prone to rust, etc.
Many thanks
Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:20 am 

I can think of one good one. RUST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:45 am 
Mama Said Knock You Out!
Mama Said Knock You Out!

Check the control arm mounting area. And the inner fender skirts. Very prone to rust there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:14 pm 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

look for oil leaks indicating leaking crankshaft oil seals*, if the accessory side is leaking, there will be oil spray on that part of the engine bay, if the flywheel side is leaking, it often will drip onto the exhaust and burn. It often contaminates the clutch surface as well, causing clutch slip.
During your test drive make sure the transmission works perfect, if it's popping out of gear or it's crunching during changes, those are signs that the tranny may die soon. If the shifter is unusually stiff (you put enough force on the shifter to almost bend it to pull it out of gear) or there are crunching or banging noises as you're driving, the tranny *is* dying.
If the car needs to be jumpstarted and won't hold a charge, you may have defective door switches.
When you're looking for rust, crawl under the car with a flashlight, and point at ever nook and cranny. Rust may be hiding under bubbled paint or little orange pinholes. If you possibly can, pull up the carpet at the front of the car, and look at the floor pan. Swifts love rotting out between the doorsills and the wheel wells. If you're able to remove the interior panels, it will also indicate if the vehicle has ever had any bodywork done to it.

*[EDIT] new information suggests what may appear to be a crankshaft seal leak, may actually be an indicator of impending transmission failure. Read more about it here.

maybe a picture Thanks

Last edited by Lihtan on Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:35 pm 

Thanks for your useful feedback guys. I forgot to mention it is a 91 Mk 2 with 130,000 km.

One other puzzling thing.............
How come there are so many of these cars in Canada??????
Again thanks
Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:32 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

nzswift wrote:
...One other puzzling thing.............
How come there are so many of these cars in Canada??????
Again thanks
Jon

Swift GTs were manufactured for the North American market between 1989 an 1994. Although if you ask anyone around here, they seem to be getting a lot harder to find. In the last few months, I've probably only seen 4 or 5 unique GTs in the Vancouver area (excluding board member's vehicles).
I think that part of your perception is influenced by this forum being based and administered in Canada, with a resulting higher percentage of Canadian members. Swifts were produced in Australia for whole decade ('89-'99), and became insanely popular vehicles down there, but percentage wise our forum isn't highly populated by Australian users.

maybe a picture Thanks